cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inherited 3x R710 APs

rdu-ruckus
New Contributor

New to Ruckus and I have inherited 3 R710 APs, there may be more but there seems to be no hardware controller.  They look like they have not been used in some time, but do power up and show the Configure.me-xxxxx SSID, so someone reset them.   I would like to upgrade the firmware on them and preferably setup a Ruckus Cloud controller for them and use them at my church.  Is the firmware needed to join them to the cloud available to anyone or is that something that must be purchased?  

thanks for any help 

8 REPLIES 8

abiel_bermudez
RUCKUS Team Member

Hello @rdu-ruckus,

When you see Configure.me-xxxxx (last 4 digits of the AP's MAC Address) SSID that means the AP is running Unleashed version.

In this case, to get the APs connected to Cloud you'll need to update the firmware version from Unleashed to Standalone.

Please follow the next steps:

1. Download the Standalone Firmware for R710 AP Model:

2. Open a browser and enter the AP's IP address

3. Perform the firmware update using Local Upgrade option:

● Find Local Upgrade during the Unleashed Wizard Setup:

● Find Local Upgrade in the Unleashed Dashboard:

Once the APs are running the standalone version, make sure to add the Serial Numbers into your Cloud.

Please let me know if you have further questions, we are glad to assist you.

Best Regards,
Abiel Bermudez | Sr Technical Support Engineer

rdu-ruckus
New Contributor

With on of the R710s powered up, I attempted to connect to it via the SSID, Configure.me-xxxxx and it wanted a passphrase.  I am not sure what that would be, but i thought unleashed did not aske for it.  So I connected an ethernet cable to it and my laptop.  I connected to 192.168.0.1, and it shows that it is a "Ruckus R710 Multimedia Hotzone Wireless AP"  with software version: 5.2.2.0.2025

Should I download Unleashed software and see if that can do enough for the simple environment I need?  For the church I really only need a private network and a guest network.

thanks

Yes, you can download the latest Unleashed software version for R710 AP Models:

RUCKUS Unleashed AP 200.14: https://support.ruckuswireless.com/software/3730-ruckus-unleashed-ap-200-14-ga-refresh-2-software-fo... 

Then, browse into the AP's IP Address, login and perform a Local upgrade:

abiel_bermudez_0-1700148632497.png

Same process will be for the rest R710 APs.

Here's the RUCKUS Unleashed User Guide, you'll find how to complete the initial setup, create the WLANs and further:

RUCKUS Unleashed 200.14 User Guide: https://docs.commscope.com/bundle/unleashed-200.14-onlinehelp

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best Regards,
Abiel Bermudez | Sr Technical Support Engineer

rdu-ruckus
New Contributor

The unleashed firmware may be all I need.  But I do not see any way to configure or monitor the setup remotely, such as checking stats from outside the building.  Is that not an available option or maybe it is a Pay-option?  I see there is an Android/iOS app available but I do not see a way to set that up for remote use either.