cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In search of wired Ethernet to wireless network adapter

it_registration
Contributor
I'm in need of a stable wired Ethernet to wireless network adapter like the NetGear WNCE2001.  The goal is to make a scientific instrumentation device (not a computer) that is currently a wired (RJ-45 port) Ethernet client a wireless client.  USB is not an option.

I've tried the NetGear WNCE2001 with limited success.  But they seem to keep losing their settings and causing network issues when they do.

Can anyone recommend anything?  It has to support WPA2-PSK AES; G or N desired.
4 REPLIES 4

jim_michael
Contributor
What you are looking for is a etherne-wifi bridge. Ubiquity makes some reliable bridges (look up "nanostation" at ubnt.com. Also, believe it or not, the Apple AirPort Express is a nice bridge. We've had very good results with those.

That said, keep in mind that wifi bridges can be problematic when trying to bridge a single node/device vs an entire network. The problem is that some devices (like printers) don't *generate* enough to traffic to keep themselves on the bridging table. Printers just sit there passively waiting for a job to arrive, which means they will initially "work" when connected via the bridge, but after about 5 min they "fall off" and you've lost connectivity. Just something to be aware of when you try to bridge a single device to the wifi.

Thanks Jim!  Learned something about bridging a single device.  Thanks again.

monnat_systems
Valued Contributor II
you can try TPLINK TL-WA850RE

http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-10_TL-WA850RE.html

one of the function -- Ethernet port allows the Extender to function as a wireless adapter to connect wired devices

hope this helps...

john_d
Valued Contributor II
If you have a Ruckus wireless setup with a ZD, you can also consider using SmartMesh and putting an AP near the device as a mesh AP. The ethernet ports on AP's are basically bridged to the network.

In lieu of that, what Jim said. I've had absolutely terrible luck, FWIW, with consumer-grade wifi bridges, as they tend to either disconnect for no apparent reason, randomly drop, stop bridging, or fall into a crappy performance state until you reboot it.

It sounds like Ubiquity might be a good way to go, if you're not equipped to do SmartMesh.