cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I ordered 801-1205-5000 watchdog contract from a reseller, now what?

jjbase
New Contributor III
Hello, roughly 24hrs ago I ordered a 801-1205-5000 5yrs watchdog support for my ZD1205 because I want to have software upgrades for my ZD and attached APs (4 r700 and upcoming 1 r720), being an home user/enthusiast with no business connections I literally bought it from the first google result reseller that looked legit, used Paypal and offered international orders (I’m in EU), namely “Barcode Discount” based in Chicago (parent company is Barcodes LLC that operates a number of similar sites).

Now while I wait for my (very pricey, for a home user) order to be honored, I’m growing puzzled about the whole process. Just puzzled for now. First of all, one would expect like a 5 minutes instant digital delivery, but apparently 2-3 days will be needed. (honestly Ruckus should just put a giant “buy premium support with Paypal” button in the ZD dashboard, why they don’t do it and force you thru sales channels is beyond me, but I digress). After an hour I called the reseller (thanks Skype for cheap overseas calls) to ask about the whole process and they said that in the coming days Ruckus themselves would honor the order via email. I find it weird, how so? I paid the reseller and never told them the S/N of my ZD. They have my email of course. And I’m from another world region.

Getting all this to work is also a prerequisite for buying my next R720 ap because otherwise my ZD1205 on an old software would not support it...

So, tldr, I dropped a lot of money on an order and I’m puzzled about the whole process, reseller CS said Ruckus will honor, if tomorrow none of the involved parties (the reseller or Ruckus) digitally delivers my watchdog activation code I will have to make some calls via Skype again...
51 REPLIES 51

kj_liu
New Contributor III
> And yes the peace of mind of r/k roaming is great, lots of iDevices in my household, interesting point I will now look for it every time I read about a new consumer mesh system.

I don't follow consumer mesh products very closely, but my understanding is that the closest they've gotten to FaceTime roaming is 802.11r in eeros. However, eeros does not have the 802.11k which is necessary to close the loop on iDevice roaming. Accordingly, people report outright drops of FaceTime/Skype calling on eeros even to this day.

Ubiquiti's fast roaming tech is just not the same. Back in the day they had zero hand-off technology which was ... disappointing. Evidently the current APs still have roaming issues with video calling too.

I've come to the conclusion that you have to pay serious cash in order to get video calling roaming work properly. There are still no free lunches in wifi land.

jjbase
New Contributor III
What strikes me about some consumer mesh systems is the dedicated 5Ghz backhaul to avoid halving the theoretical throughput at every mesh hoop. But I haven’t delved deep enough into actual performances to form an idea about this kind of systems. It eventually won’t matter any more when all my 5 APs will be wired and I will go from a multi hoop mesh to a purely wired roam.