cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I ordered 801-1205-5000 watchdog contract from a reseller, now what?

jjbase
New Contributor III
Hello, roughly 24hrs ago I ordered a 801-1205-5000 5yrs watchdog support for my ZD1205 because I want to have software upgrades for my ZD and attached APs (4 r700 and upcoming 1 r720), being an home user/enthusiast with no business connections I literally bought it from the first google result reseller that looked legit, used Paypal and offered international orders (I’m in EU), namely “Barcode Discount” based in Chicago (parent company is Barcodes LLC that operates a number of similar sites).

Now while I wait for my (very pricey, for a home user) order to be honored, I’m growing puzzled about the whole process. Just puzzled for now. First of all, one would expect like a 5 minutes instant digital delivery, but apparently 2-3 days will be needed. (honestly Ruckus should just put a giant “buy premium support with Paypal” button in the ZD dashboard, why they don’t do it and force you thru sales channels is beyond me, but I digress). After an hour I called the reseller (thanks Skype for cheap overseas calls) to ask about the whole process and they said that in the coming days Ruckus themselves would honor the order via email. I find it weird, how so? I paid the reseller and never told them the S/N of my ZD. They have my email of course. And I’m from another world region.

Getting all this to work is also a prerequisite for buying my next R720 ap because otherwise my ZD1205 on an old software would not support it...

So, tldr, I dropped a lot of money on an order and I’m puzzled about the whole process, reseller CS said Ruckus will honor, if tomorrow none of the involved parties (the reseller or Ruckus) digitally delivers my watchdog activation code I will have to make some calls via Skype again...
51 REPLIES 51

jjbase
New Contributor III
Ok installed 10.1, all good.
I had to do 9.12 -> 9.13 -> 10.1 to keep my config.
When I initially tried to do 9.12 -> 10.1 it wanted to force me to reset to factory default.
Support suggested the correct path.

I prefer the old clean fast 9.x interface as the new one is less usable from iPad, thank god it is still available at the old address (with /admin/ instead of /admin10/).

kj_liu
New Contributor III
Hooray! And thanks for the upgrade path note for 9.x users, as well as the tip on accessing the old interface on mobile devices.

I'm still waiting for my Ruckus activation email. I was expecting it today ...

jjbase
New Contributor III
Another piece of advice for upgrading the connected APs: make sure no AP is behind more than 1 mesh hoop! My APs all updated fine except the only one that was behind 2 hoops. It is now in an endless upgrade loop, I’ ve tried everything, factory reset, wired connection, I’m now in contact with support to solve the issue.

kj_liu
New Contributor III
How did you solve it in the end?

jjbase
New Contributor III
I factory reset, connected wired to a PC with IP 192.168..0.x and subnet 255.255.255.0, went to the webinterface at 192.168.0.1, manually uploaded a standalone firmware the support gave me via email, then connected again to the ZD this time wired, so this time it was upgraded to the latest ZD-connected firmware no problem, then I put it back behind two hoops. (by the way I’m planning to eventually wire all my APs but for years ruckus mesh system was a rock solid life saver back when multi hoop mesh systems weren’t so fashionable in the consumer space...now everybody in the consumer space seems to have understood that all of a sudden..)