cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change primary ZoneDirector IP per AP other than using command line?

arranda_saputra
New Contributor II
I have several Ruckus APs (ZF7343) that are hard-coded to use a specific ZoneDirector, and after configured so, all Telnet/SSH/HTTP/HTTPS are disabled on each AP by the guy who worked here before me.

I have a need to change the designated ZoneDirector IP but I don't think I can access command line except by plugging console cable to all AP one by one, which is very inconvenient.

If I try to change the designated primary ZoneDirector IP from Access Point Policies in the ZoneDirector that currently managing it, the config will be applied to all other managed AP, which I dont want to change.

Please help 😞
9 REPLIES 9

My ZoneDirector is ZD1025, I have looked at ZD CLI but so far I cannot found the corresponding command.. can I know what should I look for? Thanks

You should be able to do it with the "remote_ap_cli" option.  From the ZD's CLI (without single quotes):

'debug'

'remote_ap_cli -a  "get ssh"'

This runs the command locally on the AP, and reports output.  It can be used for any local command for APs, such as "set factory" and "reboot" to default, or "set director ip A.B.C.D" to manually set the ZD's IP address.

Please do be aware that even with the ZD's address hard-set, they will remember the current ZD's IP and connect back if they don't reach the new one.

Hello Mitchell,

Very nice reply. I tried with command "set ssh enable" and "set https enable", it works! 

However, I'd like to have more explanation on the next part of your reply. So if the AP cannot reach the newly configured ZD's IP, they will connect to the old (existing) ZD. What will happen if the new ZD's IP become reachable after the AP has been managed by the old ZD? Will it automatically switch to the new ZD?

They shouldn't change the ZD they are on unless the old one becomes unreachable, or the AP reboots.  What you can do is disable the automatic approval of new APs on the old controller (Configure > Access Points, midway down), and after the APs can reach the new controller delete them out of the old one.

This way, even if the APs attempt to rejoin the old controller, they will simply be pending approval.

It's very clear, I think I already have my questions answered. Thanks for the detail Mitchel, and also thanks for Monnat for pointing out the possibility! 🙂