cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I Shut down 5Ghz on APs via Zone Director

joseph_harvey_j
New Contributor II
Is there a way to disable the 5Ghz on APs?
Either via ZD or individual AP config?

The reason I ask is that the APs are only able to do 16 SSIDS (8 on 2.4GHz and 8 on 5Ghz)
I would like 10 SSIDS however am unable to do this with 5Ghz using half of the AP.
I understand this is not "Best Practice" however would like to use the amount of SSIDs actually shown on the Ruckus Website which is 16.

TIA
6 REPLIES 6

Well the product can't do this, as it does 8 in 5Ghz and 8 in 2.4Ghz so practically you only get 8SSIDs.

I have 4 wifi user networks (w1,w2,w3,w4) for internet connectivity. Then I have one for audio devices (a1) that needs network connectivity but no one should be able to access over the network.
Then I have chromecasts in 5 rooms which relies on bonjour to advertise. (r1,r2,r3,r4,r5,r6)

W1 is allowed to cast to all rooms r1-6.
W2 is only allowed to cast to r2,r3,r4,r6.
W3 is only allowed to cast to r1,r3,r4,r5.
w4 is only allowed to cast to r1, r4, r6

The bonjour gateway is configured on the ZD to advertise the appropriate bonjour to the allowed networks. 

For example w4 only gets multicast through the bonjour gateway for r1, r4 and r6 so it can't see the other rooms or cast to them. 

I'm assuming there is more than 1 AP and you would like guests to be able to stream just to their TVs.  You could enable SSIDs just on the APs near the rooms.  use AP Groups/WLAN Groups to do this.  The 8 SSID limitation is on the AP radio, the ZD can handle many more.

A more scalable approach would be to remove the need for multiple SSIDs altogether.

Create one SSID with Captive Portal authentication with Internal Database
Use Roles to define different VLANs for different Roles
Create different Users tied to those different Roles
Finally, use Bonjour Gateway to map VLANs to Chromecasts.