cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fixes in January 2020? r720 AP Unleashed Upload Speed Double Download Speed, Up & Down Speeds Half or Less when WPA2 or Hidden SSID Used

taylor_wall
New Contributor III

Access point is powered by a wall adaptor. Gigabit connection is coming in at 850m/850m as tested by a Thinkpad immediately before plugging the tested Cat6 into the r720.

Using the Unleashed firmware 200.6 or 200.7:
-250m/500m in speedflex using no password, visible SSID
-50m/100m in speedflex using no password, hidden SSID
-160m/480m in speedflex using WPA2, visible SSID

The best case scenario is not secure at all, and still has the issue of download speeds being severely limited. I should have a PoE injector from Ruckus soon to test and see if that makes a difference. Right now no QoS is enabled, 80mhz channel width on 5ghz with no overlap with other networks, the microwave is not running, and I'm in the same room as the router with clear line of sight.

The second ethernet port is used to connect other devices, but when I remove it the speeds are the same.

I've disabled 802.11g clients and made sure nobody else is on the network and the results seem to be the same.

On iPhones in particular (iPhone X and iPhone 11), the speeds are even worse than what I'm getting on a OnePlus 3T from 2017.

I'm going to try the oldest standalone software I can find when I can to see if it has issues. If anyone else has these same issues feel free to comment or post your workaround here.
12 REPLIES 12

taylor_wall
New Contributor III
Looks like this covers the same issue.

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/1210152-download-speed-50-of-upload?page=2

Tried disabling WMM in the command line and it just made things grind to a halt. I'm in the same room as the router and have moved it and changed the transmit power from auto to high to low.

andre_buto
New Contributor II
After 6 months using Ruckus, i am glad that installed
my 3y old Linksys Velop Mesh router.

taylor_wall
New Contributor III
200.8.10.3.278 gives similar issues with download speeds around 250 and upload over 400. Has an additional issue causing lag for game consoles. Reverted back to 106. firmware.

hayward_kong
Contributor III
As for the lags and spikes.  Maybe this can help. I know a gamer who uses a r500 and unleashed firmware 200.7.x  who turned off the background scanning which helped with lags and spikes. 

taylor_wall
New Contributor III
Issue isn't present in 106. Guess it has good default settings? I'll have to check, but if that's the case, it's even more unexcusable to replace good defaults with noticeably bad ones.