cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enabling Mesh on ZD1100 with 2 R500 AP's

shailesh_patel_
New Contributor II
Hi

I have 2 R500 AP's and one ZD1100. I have an issue where one of the AP's is located where I need a direct connection to another network device. Currently, there are 2 ports in this location, one is already using a direct connection and the other one is connected to a switch and running 3 network devices off it, including one AP.

I was just researching the idea of enabling mesh on the ZD1100 and using the network port of the AP to connect to the switch instead, which would free up the other network port to be used as a direct connection.

The second AP is located in an airing cupboard on the first floor. It would be about 50 feet away from the first AP located on the ground floor, there are three walls in between the 2 AP's.

Firstly, would I be able to use the network port of the first AP to connect to a switch and extend the network? I did read it was possible but couldn't find any instructions on how to do that.

Second, what would be the downside of trying to use the mesh option in this way? I know once enabled, it cannot be disabled, from what I have read.

Thanks,
Shailesh
3 REPLIES 3

alan_rothenstre
Contributor
Regarding meshing, enabling it will require a restart and same for disabling. I suggest you enable mesh functionality on the ZD. You can then disable meshing on an AP by AP, or set an AP as root or mesh only if you like.

The 2nd port on the r500 should work as a pass through port so if you plug a cable in and extend it 300 feet you can plug another AP in. Since the cable is in serial, higher risk for failure and you will need a PoE Injector for the 2nd AP depending on the distance and type of power supply for the 1st AP.

shailesh_patel_
New Contributor II
Thanks Alan.

I only need to use the ethernet port to extend my main network. I will probably enable mesh and see if it works the way I think it will.

monnat_systems
Valued Contributor II
shailesh,

Firstly, would I be able to use the network port of the first AP to connect to a switch and extend the network? I did read it was possible but couldn't find any instructions on how to do that. 

--> Yes, no specific setting to the enable to disable it. If you use R500 as a Mesh AP then you got 2 ethernet port as extra ports now.

Second, what would be the downside of trying to use the mesh option in this way? I know once enabled, it cannot be disabled, from what I have read.

--> Yes, you need to reset the controller to disable the MESH on it but if i would be in your place then i will make a backup of controller before i enable mesh so that if i run into problen then i simple factory reset the controller and quicky apply the back up taken earlier. saves time..