Does anyone have a deployment of over 100 AP's here or around 2000 clients?
I have a ticket that's been open for almost 6 months now around a memory leak in the Zonedirector code that is moving along very slowly. After all this time Ruckus support have worked out only which component has the memory leak. It seems to be related to client connections and the more there are the faster it becomes obvious. I actually suspect every single install sees this leak but until you get to a decent number of connections it's so small as to be non-obvious.
It first became apparent to us when we got about 100 - 125 R600's deployed and had somewhere over 2000 clients. We've continued to grow the deployment and now have 200 AP's deployed and about 4000 concurrent clients all day and we can exhaust the memory of our ZD3000 in about a week.
Our install doesn't appear to be anything special, we publish a couple of EAP protected SSID's and a single PSK one. The only reason I can think of that this isn't affecting all large customers is that there really aren't that many with that much load.
I'd love to hear from anyone who has a deployment of this size (or larger)
We're currently running a dev version (18.104.22.168 build 14546650), but this originally started with 9.8.
Our average depends on the site involved, for example one of our sites averages 30-40 connections per AP but some spike over 100 at times on single AP's. Other sites average 10 connections per AP. Case ID is 00329641, ER-3275.
My biggest issue is support seems to want to wait until memory consumption is over 80% before looking at the system, in the past when the deployment was smaller that took weeks to occur, and now on the day it does climb over 80% I have to reboot the ZD that night to maintain operation the next day without an unexpected reboot.
Basically, it's been almost 6 months, I now have to reboot the ZD weekly to maintain smooth operation, and I'm not convinced we're actually much closer to having this solved, and I have more sites to upgrade. I'm at a point now where we we'll be holding off upgrading those sites until this is resolved, and if it goes on too much longer we'll have to start looking at other wireless systems, which disappoints me because the actual functionality has been great.
What sort of set up do you have i.e. tunnelled client traffic, application visibility etc?
Previously I used ZD3000's, but found them to be a little lacking on the performance side of things and had to upgrade - I also was seeing high CPU on a ZD3000 (flatlined at 100%), but I RMA'd the device and shortly after upgraded to the ZD5000 as I did not want to take anymore risks using mid range product for high end network.
Since the upgrade the network has been solid as a rock!
Note: The network I was running had over 100 AP's and around 8,000 to 10,000 concurrent sessions, so the ZD3000 was borderline in terms of suitability for my network in the first place.
We don't have any CPU issues on the ZD, just ever increasing RAM usage. We have basically no tunneled traffic, that's not entirely true as we have one tiny site that we tunnel from but it would be less than 1% of the total traffic. Application Visibility is off (one of the things tried to control the RAM issue).
Our SSID's are configured for high density as one of our sites is pretty busy so basically odfm only and a couple of other sensible settings, nothing out of the ordinary and all according to the various whitepapers. The R600's are also configured to allow 200 connections and so are the SSID's (per AP)
Our AP's are alsmot exclusively R600's with 5 R710's for locations that needed a little more range, and about 20 ZF7372's. Our EAP SSID's are the ones that get used heavily and our PSK SSID is hiidden and only used for devices that don't support EAP (appletv's, projectors etc etc)