cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default settings for ipv6 caused me a problem I just discovered

mike_galbicka
New Contributor II
Has anyone else experienced this?  By default my ZD1106 has ipv6 disabled which is what I want in my environment. However also by default the system default AP group configures all AP's to use ipv4 and ipv6. I always thought since it was disabled on the ZD it wasn't a problem. That is not the case. I found that guest traffic on the isolated guest WLAN was in fact passing to devices on the work network over ipv6. The automatic firewall rules put in place on the guest network for restricted subnet access to the LAN subnets DO NOT restrict ipv6 traffic and thus it needs to be disabled on the AP by changing those group settings to ipv4 only. That SHOULD BE the default don't you think to match the ZD and prevent this problem?
12 REPLIES 12

mike_galbicka
New Contributor II
Thanks for the reply Michael but I don't see how that is relevant to this post.

james_stevens_7
New Contributor II
galbicka,
     Michael is confirming your thought(s) that your ZD setting should be inherited by your AP(s).  But also suggesting that verifying IPv4 and IPv6 settings in the AP or AP group might be a good idea, in order to achieve the performance you desire in your environment. 

mike_galbicka
New Contributor II
Ruckus support has confirmed my suspicions but their suggestion on how to get it fixed left me shaking my head. I can confirm the work arounds do the trick though.

"I have verified it. By default the IPv4 is enabled for ZD in the Setup wizard and for APs it is IPv4&IPv6. I agree with your point that the default settings need to be changed. You can contact your local SE to raise an FR(Future Request) so that it may get fixed in the future firmware releases or if you want I can forward your contact details to the SE. For now,the work around is to manually change the IP version as IPv4 only for the APs or to enable IPv6 support for ZD to restrict the IPv6 Clients."

mike_galbicka
New Contributor II
Finally the original support tech passed my concern up the chain to a senior engineer who understands and is pursuing getting some changes made. Will see how that progresses. At the least both the ZD and the AP default group should only be configured for ipv4 out of the box so users don't have to be concerned with this for the next couple of years until ipv6 becomes more mainstream.

idxman01
New Contributor
I was looking at that setting this week and thought the same. Thanks for bring it up, it's. Helpful post.

Now am mainly concerned with getting our zd1125 back online after a firmware upgrade failed and hung. ..