cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chromebooks not connecting and/or losing connection

erin_miller_708
New Contributor II
We have had our Ruckus network set up for almost two years without any problems. Over the last six months I am getting increasing complaints about Chromebooks not being able to connect or losing connectivity randomly.

Tech support keeps telling me the clients are switching between 2.4ghz & 5ghz quickly which is causing the problem. They are saying the issue is "Reason 3" meaning the client is moving between APs or too far from an AP.

These clients are sitting at their desks where they have always had reliable connectivity. They will be working without a problem and suddenly drop connectivity for hours at a time. Then, for no apparent reason, connectivity will return. When they lose connectivity, their computer will still show 2 or 3 bars (with a 40% or higher signal strength.)

I am getting nowhere with tech support. The problem is beginning to affect more of my users. It happens with more than one AP.

We are in the middle to transitioning the majority of our staff to Chromebooks so I need this fix.

I have upgraded to the most recent firmware.

Anyone have any ideas!?!
19 REPLIES 19

david_henderson
Contributor II
Did this get solved?

michael_brado
Esteemed Contributor II
Bill Pier, do you have an active ticket with Tech Support?

No, I have thus far experienced very poor Support from Ruckus.

At this point I have forced most of our Chromebooks to one radio spectrum.

Did this fix the issue? The reason I ask is we are forcing all district owned laptops to 5GHz and personal devices to 2.4GHz. If band hopping was the issue and by forcing all Chromebooks to one band you fixed the problem, I should be set

nick_spencer_56
New Contributor
We had a problem much like this several months ago. We finally found that the Chrome OS version at the time didn't work well with the Ruckus software and firmware. We updated Chrome OS and Software/ firmware on the ZD and APs. This solved the issue.