cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can the ZoneFlex 7731 802.11n Point to Point Wireless Bridge support 2.4ghz devices?

travis_leblanc
New Contributor
I just recently installed this device for one of our clients and it worked fine at first, or at least we thought it did(because I connected with an iPhone 5 and Galaxy s4). It wasn't until later that the client noticed a large amount of its guests couldn't pick up the signal. I read up on it and noticed it only supported 5ghz devices. I was wondering if there is anything that can be done to change this to support other devices as well?
7 REPLIES 7

michael_brado
Esteemed Contributor II
The zf7731 point to multi-point bridge is like an invisible cable in the air.  You
can bridge traffic from one side to the other transparently.  That traffic could be
wired switch traffic with 7731 bridge link between.  It does not accept wireless
client laptop/phone connections.

You can pass traffic from an AP, like the 7762 outdoor AP, across the zf7731
bridge link.  One end of the 7731 PoE power injector goes OUT to AP/Bridge,
and the other end is Network IN.  That Network in can be from a wired switch,
or a *separately* powered 7762 AP (which serves both 2.4g and 5g wireless clients).

eizens_putnins
Valued Contributor II
Actually you can just connect ZF7731 to "PoE out" port of ZF7762, than ZF7731 will be powered from it, and you need just one PoE injector to power ZF7762. It is designed exactly for such use, and included with ZF7762 PoE injector is 60W.
The only drawback is that this second port is 100MB/s, not 1GB/s, but it will be enough in most cases.
You can also power both APs from 12V DC or use 2x PoE injectors, if you wish.

monnat_systems
Valued Contributor II
Yes, I agree with Eizens. its doable to power up the ZF7731 from ZF7762's POE out port and you also save on extra poe injector. There real cases where pair ZF7731's where extending the mesh network and working as a backhaul.