cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone have trouble connecting their Sonos to their Ruckus R510 unleashed?

jim_millerick_3
New Contributor III
I have 4 APs at the office all R510s with R510_200.7.10.102.64   - for some reason my Sonos can't even find it.   I have 2.4GHz enabled.   I know with some APs I've worked with in the past I've had to enable multicast.  I couldn't find that in the GUI.   I found a very unclear thread that sounded like  you couldn't use unleashed or might need a zone director - I couldn't make heads or tails of what the environment that does or doesn't work with Sonos.    Can anyone answer for my specific environment?
20 REPLIES 20

keven_mccaliste
New Contributor II
Yes! Apparently they don’t work well together. I have the Playbar, Sub, and two Ones and they wouldn’t work together for surround. I researched and probably looked at the same things you have and couldn’t figure it out. I ended up getting the Sonos Boost. I set that up and factory reset each device and it all works together now.

jim_millerick_3
New Contributor III
Thanks for the reply.  Sorry if I'm not familiar with their products but isn't the sonos boost a wifi AP or router?   I'd hate to have to put in 4 of those competing for channels throughout my office.

john_d
Valued Contributor II
The Boost is like a mesh base station but each Sonos speaker is capable of extending the Boost's network.

When you use Boost it will use a Sonos proprietary variant of wifi technology and you'll get better performance out of them.

Sonos actually uses a lot of the same wifi components as high end Enterprise APs -- for example, QCA chipsets, and even uses their Adaptive Noise Immunity feature just like Ruckus to combat interference.

keven_mccaliste
New Contributor II
My application is residential with two APs. I have the Boost plugged into the Ruckus switch directly. The Boost creates a separate dedicated wi-fi just for Sonos. You can then dedicate a specific channel for your Sonos. From my understanding as long as the Boost can reach a speaker and then the speakers are close enough to each other the speakers essentially act as repeaters. The Boost itself doesn’t need to be in range of all the Sonos speakers. Maybe contact Sonos to discuss your specific application. I believe the Boost is a solution worth looking into.