cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AC AP selection

yuval_ben_ari_6
New Contributor III
I am trying to choose an AC AP for our new office.
I was looking at the R600 spec and have problem to understand the client limit spec:
Concurrent Stations	Up to 500 clients per AP
Simultaneous VoIP Clients Up to 30
What does the VoIP Clients limit means? is that WiFi users that are using VoIP application such as Skype or a different type of connection supported by the AP?

Also, is there any spec that mentions the coverage distance of the AP?
17 REPLIES 17

john_d
Valued Contributor II
R700 appears to no longer be in the current lineup, replaced by R710.... I think this is a good move, because quite honestly, my previous advice for R700 was "basically never" over R500/R600. I've never noticed a performance or capacity advantage to R700, despite it was supposed to be a higher end AP.

Long story short, the R700 is the 7982 with 802.11ac capable radios but largely identical analog components. Shortly afterwards, the R600 and R500 were introduced with newer antenna designs, and IMO these are the best 802.11ac AP's on the market in terms of performance and value.

As far as choosing between the R500 and R600, I think it boils down to whether or not you have 3x3 clients or not. For capable 3x3 clients, I've observed around a 20% throughput improvement on R600 vs R500. You'll have to decide if that's worth the price premium.

Of course, the R710 is a behemoth both in capability and price, and I've noticed a noticeable performance/range improvement over the R600 and R500, but I think it's a big price to pay for it. If you are ever deciding between two R500's or 1 R710, I'd still vote for the former.

Thanks. This really helped. I am thinking R600 will be my choise.

max_o_driscoll
Valued Contributor
The R600 should handle your 50 users comfortably.
Think you are far more likely to be constrained by your internet connection.

Doesn't matter how big the tap is if the pipe is narrow. A very basic analogy - not meant to stand up to technical analysis!

Thanks. The bandwidth / firewall whould be quite robust. I am more concern about wireless performance during busy hours...

Thanks. The bandwidth / firewall whould be quite robust. I am more concerned about wireless performance during busy hours...