cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SmartSelect vs specific channel for 7982

edward_chin_691
New Contributor II
Hi. I have the Ruckus 7982 set with SmartSelect for the channel. I notice that it uses channels that are not necessarily the recommended 1,6,11. For example, at this very moment, its using channel 3. My office is in a building with many other wireless networks all using either 1,6 or 11. Is it still a good practice to still set to SmartSelect? Or should i override and specify either 1,6 or 11?

Also, I have a separate netgear access point that i just have one as a separate SSID which i've been using as a backup since i was still evaluating the Ruckus access point. Is it a better practice going forward to sync the SSID name to be the same?

thanks
14 REPLIES 14

john_d
Valued Contributor II
Thanks Michael for confirming this!

michael_brado
Esteemed Contributor II
If using standalone APs, you can define the same SSID on a 3rd party AP, that
needs to be configured with the same encryption/cipher methods. Whether you
roam between two standalone Ruckus APs, or to the 3rd party one, your client
is going to do a full re-association/re-authentication, new each time. Ruckus APs
will likely provide better coverage, naturally, so you might not connect to the 3rd
party AP unless you are near to it.

If you employed a ZoneDirector/RuckOS controller, you would roam seamlessly
and faster between the Ruckus APs in your environment, and would want to
avoid having a 3rd party AP using the same SSID.

edward_chin_691
New Contributor II
I have the access point set up as stand-alone with 9.8.1.0.101. Using an external tool, i never see the channel ever changing.. its been on ch. 3 since the start up 54 days ago.

Should I reboot it on a daily basis as a work around?
Is there a newer firmware version out there that implements the dynamic channel setting OR must i purchase a separate controller?

You probably have clean air, with little noise or interference, and channel 3 may be the best 2.4G channel. With only one AP you won't likely see other SSIDs being advertised. You can reboot your AP and evaluate your chosen channels
once more. If they select the same ones again, those are likely your best choices.

bill_burns_6069
Contributor III
If you want to exclude certain channels from consideration:
(like channels 2,3,4,5 and 7,8,9,10)

Assuming you're using a ZoneDirector:
Go to Configure / Access_Points / Access_Point_Groups and edit the "System Default" entry.
Under "Channel Range Settings": uncheck the undesired channels.

ChannelFly should now only be able to choose channels 1, 6 and 11. (on 2.4Ghz radios)

If you have excessive "interference detected" log messages on 5Ghz channels (and you suspect there is interference from non-ruckus APs) you can try the same trick there.

Beware, though:
If your interference is from other Ruckus APs (managed by the same controller) then eliminating the 5Ghz "problem" channels will only move the problem to another set of channels.

Re: ChannelFly in general:
If you're in a clean/"controlled" environment where you own+manage all the APs, you may not need it. (and a 1,6,11 strategy probably makes sense)

If you're in a noisy/congested environment where you do not control al the APs and interference comes from many distant APs (or non-WiFi devices) then ChannelFly and non-standard channels may be optimal for you.

(that's my opinion)