cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Meaning of the to/from numbers for meshed AP's

lonnie_3404113
Contributor
In ZD on the Dashboard, each meshed AP shows signal strength to/from the source AP. But it's not clear which number is which. I see also the little radiowave symbols go up and down, but is the up meaning uplink, which would mean signal strength from the meshed AP?
Image_ images_messages_5f91c3e6135b77e2478d33ba_b53bc5c95ead0e3e7345b9db5df7c955_jjj_inline-f1f61f8d-fdab-438d-9ddd-15bee6b43189-2104956429.png1397247779
16 REPLIES 16

primoz_marinsek
Valued Contributor
I haven't found anything in the user guide about this but I'll take a wild guess that it's a FROM/TO relation.

So first number FROM your ROOT AP and the other TO your ROOT AP which in your case is 35% FROM "7762 ROOF EAST" TO "WEAVER" and 45% from "WEAVER" TO "7762 ROOF EAST"

lonnie_3404113
Contributor
Thanks for the reply!
You are right it's a FROM/TO relationship, as when I hover over the little arrows, a small popup says as much.
My guess is exactly the opposite - the 7762 has external omni antennas, so I would think the signal FROM the 7762 is a tad stronger at the receiving end (WEAVER) than from WEAVER to the 7762.

It would be nice if Ruckus can clarify this. That 5% on MAINTENANCE SHOP concerns me, but without knowing what I'm seeing, it's hard to try to fix it.

primoz_marinsek
Valued Contributor
Integrated adaptive antennas usually have higher gain than the attached omni as they can focus the energy not spread it out like omni. That's probably why you are seeing lower signal on the downlink than up.

another reason why there is this imbalance is also the fact that link is not reciprocal (not the same in both directions).

lonnie_3404113
Contributor
Hmmm... I saw much better to/from numbers after installing the omnis. But that was a year ago, maybe I missed something. I might try it again without the omnis.

But no one knows for certain which number is which?