added more memory and CPU resources to our ZoneDirector and
Access Point product

lines, the earlier and less capable products are gradually
being discontinued. 

Recent End of Life announcements have been posted regarding ZD1100
model controller,

ZoneFlex 7363/7343/7341/7441 and SmartCell 8800 model access
points.  These products

will not be available for sale after September 30, 2015.  Please see the EoL notices for the

details on firmware and replacement support.

https://support.ruckuswireless.com/documents/698-zd1100-end-of-life-notification
21 REPLIES 21

michael_brado
Esteemed Contributor II
Hello,

And as of ZD 9.12 and SZ 3.1.1 releases, all AP products support DFS.
Sorry this wasn't listed as a feature, but I'll update KBA-4122.

https://support.ruckuswireless.com/answers/000004122

john_d
Valued Contributor II
Thanks, Michael, that KBA is a great summary of when various features are to be released.

I've decided to go ahead and replace my ZD1106 with a ZD1205 for future-proofing. I know sooner or later I'll want a Wave 2 AP, which will require a ZD1200 anyway 🙂

matty_brown
New Contributor III

I see the new ZD1200 hasn't been "VIEW Certified" with Spectralink as yet.  Are there any plans to get it certified?

The current VIEW certified configuration states that Spectralink handsets work with a Zone Director 1100 running firmware version 9.7.1.0.32.  Does the 1200 support that same firmware and should it work identically to the way it would on a 1100 (except for speed/performance, of course).

We're having a new Wi-Fi system installed at our new warehouse and the system needs to work with Spectralink 8440 handsets.  I'm hoping that I can use a ZD1200 instead of ZD1100... otherwise I'm going to have to look at Aruba or some other vendor that has had their current offerings certified, which would be a shame, since we've been using Ruckus kit since February 2013 and I'm very happy with it.

Thanks,

Matty Brown.

michael_brado
Esteemed Contributor II
Using your other thread for VIEW discussion, but Spectralink is currently updating the certification with current Ruckus products.

dominic_bufton
New Contributor II
We've got 2 x ZD 1100s covering 2 island wide mesh.   We've just realised after a few new additions, that we cannot buy latest APs as they need the latest 9.3 firmware, so can only buy old WAPs, nearing end of life.   We've just done the calculations, and for us to replace all of the the WAPs that will be knocked offline by upgrading from 9.1 to 9.3 on the ZD100 to support the new WAPs, we will need to replace approximately $35,000 worth of perfectly good working, albeit older model WAPs.    

Whilst I understand the need to improve products, there should be no need to force older kit off the supported list, purely based on lack of some new feature support?  Surely the firmware can be taught to either optionally disable or not use newer features on the new WAPs?  802 stds are backward compatible aren't they?   We're currently so disgusted with this that we are looking at replacing the everything on both islands with different and overall cheaper supplier.  Which is a shame as everything currently works really well, and we feel that this is purely a marketing strategy to force users into upgrade.

Not impressed.