added more memory and CPU resources to our ZoneDirector and
Access Point product

lines, the earlier and less capable products are gradually
being discontinued. 

Recent End of Life announcements have been posted regarding ZD1100
model controller,

ZoneFlex 7363/7343/7341/7441 and SmartCell 8800 model access
points.  These products

will not be available for sale after September 30, 2015.  Please see the EoL notices for the

details on firmware and replacement support.

https://support.ruckuswireless.com/documents/698-zd1100-end-of-life-notification
21 REPLIES 21

david_botha
New Contributor III
@John Dong,

Sorry for the delayed response here.  US DFS channels will be enabled for R500 & R600 in the next 9.10 maintenance release (9.10.1) which will be supported on ZD1100.
Airtime Fairness and WLAN Prioritization are due later this year in 10.0 which to your point excludes ZD1100.  We will take a look at if these features can be rolled into a later 9.10 maintenance release - it's a very reasonable request but please give us some time to get back on this.

As for controller trade-up programs, please reach out to your local Ruckus Sales contact.

Thanks as always for your input.

john_d
Valued Contributor II
Hi David,

Is this still the plan of record? I noticed in the release notes for 9.12 GA that DFS is now available for R500/R600. Is there still a 9.10.1 release planned with DFS for R500/R600 as well?

I appreciate Ruckus acknowledging our feedback with regard to these concerns. It's starting to seem like I need to just accept that getting a ZD1205 is the way forward. It's just the circumstances that feel somewhat unfortunate -- I'm all for justifying a new ZoneDirector to support something new like the R710. However, to do it for DFS channel support (and lesser extent, prioritization / airtime fairness) for an AP that advertised this in its features list (and from before the ZD1200 was available) leaves me feeling a bit bummed out  as a customer.

I even had a support case #00254135 from Feb 6 (Before EOL and before ZD1200 availability), where I noticed the lack of DFS. I would still wish to at least be able to get DFS support without feeling forced to purchase a new controller.

9.9.1 and the NTP bugfix'd 9.8.2 build have DFS support.  I'd imagine that the next 9.10 MR will as well (when they come).

john_d
Valued Contributor II
Hmm, I haven't tried 9.9.1 but I just tried 9.8.3 MR3 and it does not have DFS support on R600, only on R700... Are you sure 9.9.1 has it too? I will try that next.

Either it has it, or the ZD I'm currently using it on lies 🙂

You have to set the channelization (Configure > System> Country code) to "Optimize for Performance" to expose the new channels.