cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximal Ping Response Time for Authentication

marco_eichstet1
Contributor III
Hello,

i have a site in Germany. A remote site in england should be covered with Ruckus APs. I have two ZD1200 in SmartRedundancy in Germany.

The Connection between both sites is not perfect. I have a average ping response time about 600ms. Sometimes more.

I am using DPSK. So everytime a User connects to a SSID he have to reach the Controller for authentication.

My question is if somebody can give a a reccomendation if my ping response time will be a problem or not. Of course i would like to manage all my wireless clients from one site. But if the Connections between the sites is to bad, i think i have to place a seperate Controller at the Remote site.

What do you think?

Thanks.
Kind Regards
Marco
6 REPLIES 6

michael_brado
Esteemed Contributor II
Hello Marco,

Yes, first and foremost, you need at least a 100ms round-trip-time (RTT) between APs and ZD to maintain the heartbeats that tell the ZD the AP is still there...

If this is not possible due to WAN, you may need to consider standalone AP operation at those remote locations which cannot maintain AP/ZD under 100ms.

(or locate a local ZD there)

marco_eichstet1
Contributor III
Hi Michael,

thanks for your feedback.
Is there a Solution/Software if i want to manage a local ZD together with my ZD SmartRedundancy Cluster?

Thanks.

Kind regards
Marco

michael_brado
Esteemed Contributor II

Hello Marco,

The current Smart Redundancy solution works with one Active and one Standby ZoneDirector.

The two ZDs can be located in the same Data Center, or physically separated if timing requirements

can be maintained.  Here's some further details about SR from KBA-2269:

For Smart Redundancy, the Standby ZD will send heartbeats and the Active will send discovers,

at every 6s intervals.  If after 15s, no reply is seen, the ZDs will make a decision if it is disconnected

with its peer, and the Standby ZD will change to Active.

When the two ZoneDirectors are communicating again, one Active ZD will change to Standby

role and an auto-synchronization process will be started.  There is a timestamp to judge sync

from which ZD, to sync the latest one to the peer.  The timestamp is updated by configuration

behavior.  They will continue trying to communicate, sending discover msgs every 6s to peers,

until the ZDs are communicating again, when they will determine Active/Standby roles based

on 1) most managed APs, and/or 2) lower MAC address.

marco_eichstet1
Contributor III
Hi,

Thanks for your Info.
But my question was if there is a Software/Solution from Ruckus to manage multible local ZoneDirectors from a single pane of glass?

Thanks!
Kind Regards
Marco