cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install R510 APs near Warmboard

ross_nelson_8np
New Contributor II
I'm pre-wiring Cat6 for some R510's (Unleashed) and there will be warmboard-R installed on 50-75% of the ceiling on both levels of the home. It is a radiant heating panel made of particle board, with a groove cut in it, then a layer of aluminum sheet metal over the top.

Am I OK placing AP's immediately against these, or do I need to try to find small sections of the ceiling where there will not be warmboard to mount the AP's, in terms of maintaining good signal across the floor?
6 REPLIES 6

DarrelRhodes
Valued Contributor
Hi Ross,

Are you intending for the APs to be installed above or below the warmboard? I would suggest that any sheet metal between the AP and the area where coverage is required, is a very bad idea and will seriously negatively impact performance.

If the APs are to be mounted below the warmboard, the next question is to determine how warm is a warmboard?

The operating temperature of the R510 is detailed on the data sheet as:
0C(32F) to 50C(122F).

HTH,
Darrel.

ross_nelson_8np
New Contributor II
Thanks for your response, Darrel. Very good questions, and a good point on the heat.

The warmboard will be mounted on the ceiling, with the AP mounted immediately below, with the intent being that it would serve primarily the floor it is mounted within.

The warmboard, at design condition (-5 degrees outside, running full-bore) would have an average water temp of 130F, and the surface of the drywall should peak out around 110-115F. I'm not clear how hot objects near the surface would be.

DarrelRhodes
Valued Contributor
Hi Ross,

Thanks for the additional detail.  I would suggest as the warmboard temperature would potentially be near to the maximum operating temp of the Ruckus AP, which also generates it's own heat, that if you have the option to install on an area of the ceiling that isn't fitted with warmboard, that would certainly be the preference.

Also note; running the AP at high temperatures may also reduce it's operating lifetime.

Thanks,
Darrel.

ross_nelson_8np
New Contributor II
Thanks, Darrel.

There is an option to arrange the warmboard in solid sections (but smaller footprint), versus having some skips between. Do you have a sense of one approach, versus the other would be better/worse for any floor-to-floor connectivity?

Given all APs will be hardwired, are there any other concerns from an AP to AP connectivity perspective?