cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High latency on Apple devices vs. Windows

btt
New Contributor III
New to Ruckus and working on a deployment for a hotel/resort property. We've gotten reports of connectivity issues with the POS system that runs on iPads carried around by the servers. I did some digging and I noticed high latency spikes when pinging the iPads. Pings will sit below 10ms for maybe 10 pings, then bounce up anywhere between 50-250ms for another 10 pings or so, then come back down, with some variations. I'm able to reproduce this issue with Apple laptops as well. We've done a site survey, signal and SNR values all look good. What's odd is on Windows devices I'm not able to reproduce the issue. A windows devices connected to the same WLAN on the same AP as a Mac device will maintain low latency, while a Mac or iPad will spike. 

I have a case open with support, but I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions/tips on things that can be done from a config standpoint to try and make Apple devices happier. I'm running the latest version of the vSZ and using R720s and T710 omnis. Thanks. 
28 REPLIES 28

Any updates?

btt
New Contributor III

Sadly, no. I've largely given up on resolution at this point. My customer ended up hard wiring all their POS iPads and giving up on the mobility they had originally wanted for their food  service staff. It's extremely frustrating. Ruckus is claiming that their latest update to the virtual SmartZone software clears up the latency being seen due to the power management, but latency is still high.

I'll likely look for solutions from other manufacturers for future deployments if I know Apple devices will be in heavy use for critical applications ahead of time. 

file a complaint to Apple...

call it WIFIgate...

WesZDept
New Contributor

It's been a while since this post was updated, but we encounter the exact same issue's already for some years and seemed to be increased with newer versions of MacOS.

Windows laptops in our network don't have any problem, also being connected to the same SSID.

@btt I was wondering if you ever tried a non-Apple device (Samsung Tablet or something) to see if that is performing better that an Apple device.

btw, we are not using Ruckus but we are using Extreme Networks (switches & ap's) but we face the exact same issues.