cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High latency on Apple devices vs. Windows

btt
New Contributor III
New to Ruckus and working on a deployment for a hotel/resort property. We've gotten reports of connectivity issues with the POS system that runs on iPads carried around by the servers. I did some digging and I noticed high latency spikes when pinging the iPads. Pings will sit below 10ms for maybe 10 pings, then bounce up anywhere between 50-250ms for another 10 pings or so, then come back down, with some variations. I'm able to reproduce this issue with Apple laptops as well. We've done a site survey, signal and SNR values all look good. What's odd is on Windows devices I'm not able to reproduce the issue. A windows devices connected to the same WLAN on the same AP as a Mac device will maintain low latency, while a Mac or iPad will spike. 

I have a case open with support, but I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions/tips on things that can be done from a config standpoint to try and make Apple devices happier. I'm running the latest version of the vSZ and using R720s and T710 omnis. Thanks. 
28 REPLIES 28

We are having a very similar issues with Apple devices on our network at campus and still have not found a resolution. 

btt
New Contributor III

It's funny, I just got the notification of your comment, right after I got off the phone with my sales engineer. I don't have any real meaningful updates, but I'm about to post what I do have.

btt
New Contributor III

Hi all. Another update since my last one. The private build I mentioned previously never came my way, support told me in their testing it didn't resolve the issues. Support has opened an engineering request and the issue is now on their plate to figure out. From what I've been told, they've narrowed the issue down to some sort of problem within the actual Ruckus AP where the traffic passes from the APs ethernet interface to it's wireless interface. They're seeing high latency introduced at that point, and they're trying to figure out why. Engineering has apparently been working on this for several weeks and I've not received a meaningful update beyond this since then. I've been hounding my support contact every couple days to see where we're at. My Ruckus Account Manager and Sales Engineer are involved now as well, so we'll see if that yields anything useful. Hopefully I have some positive news soon, but I'm not holding my breath.

Hi William,

I have experienced similar issues as your in our 58 AP deployment. I'm wondering if you have made any recent progress you'd be willing to share?

Thanks,

Justin Hayes

btt
New Contributor III

Justin,

Unfortunately no meaningful progress has been made from my last update. I've had multiple calls with my sales engineer, my account manager, and the support engineers working on this. For the last few months it's just been this loop of engineering requesting testing from support, support providing it or having some issue providing it requiring rework, and the loop then just continues over and over. As of right now I'm not to thrilled with how things are going. They still acknowledge the issue, that it's in their equipment, and they're working to figure it out.