cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

versions of the R310?

lin_joiner
New Contributor II
Are there 2 or 3 versions of the R310? Is there a managed, standalone and Unleashed or is standalone just managed access point without a controller present meaning there are just 2, managed and Unleashed?
3 REPLIES 3

lin_joiner
New Contributor II
Never mind. I couldn't find this in the forum but I found it at http://docs.ruckuswireless.com/ in the installation -> pre-configuring the AP

michael_brado
Esteemed Contributor II
Hello Lin,

To help clarify, the Ordering Part Number for standard ZoneFlex APs is (901), and will ship
with a 104.x AP firmware that can connect to ZoneDirector or SmartZone controllers, or operate
in a Solo/Standalone mode.

To differentiate, the Unleashed Ordering Part Number uses (9U1) and comes with Unleashed
firmware that will not automatically connect to ZD/SZ controllers.  After setting up the first AP with
Unleashed code as your Master AP, the next 24 will connect automatically, upgrade if necessary,
and get configured.

If you have plans to go either way, order the AP part number that matches, because any RMA
will replace your AP with the same part number models ONLY.

lin_joiner
New Contributor II
Thanks Michael.

I have a grant to order 8 of these, one for each library branch. I currently have 9+year old Netgear WAG102s for access points. They still work but I want to upgrade while I can. Currently PFsense separates public wireless from regular library LAN and provides DHCP, captive portal (click through only) and band width throttling. I am thinking that I could shift a lot of this to the R310 over time. Which version do you think would best fit my situation? I know you will need more specfics. Please ask them. Thanks again.