cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SmartZone AP WiFi radiation

wildan_alimudin
New Contributor
Hello Experts,

We have T300, R510, R610, R710 and H510 at workplaces. All of them on smartzone.

Concerns from customers about EMF spreads sorrounding those APs. I couldnt found any fact in datasheet for those APs. Can someone let me know what the range that spread from each AP? Or how can I know/test the EMF sorrounding the APs?

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3

DarrelRhodes
Valued Contributor
Hi Wial,

You are aware that Wi-Fi is non-ionising electro-magnetic radiation? Without it we wouldn't have any wireless communications from Cell-phones, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, TV, Radio, GPS to Satellite, RC toys, garage door openers, TV remotes, etc. etc.

All electronic devices need to pass certification testing for Electromagnetic Interference standards, to ensure they don't emit 'noise' that will affect the operation of other electronic devices or at dangerous levels.  These certifications are usually detailed on the device data sheet.  For example on the Ruckus R510:
  • EN 60950-1 Safety

• EN 60601-1-2 Medical

• EN 61000-4-2/3/5 Immunity

• EN 50121-1 Railway EMC

• EN 50121-4 Railway Immunity

• IEC 61373 Railway Shock & Vibration

• UL 2043 Plenum

• EN 62311 Human Safety/RF Exposure

• WEEE & RoHS

• ISTA 2A Transportation

I hope that helps,
Darrel.

wildan_alimudin
New Contributor
Thank you Darrel,

It does helps.

If then we would need to measure the EMF around the installed APs, do you have recommendation on that? on how  -the best practice- to do it, tools -equipment- can be used?

DarrelRhodes
Valued Contributor
Hi Wial,

To check the RF emissions from your APs, and other sources, you can use a spectrum analyser. There are lots of these on the market, e.g. Ekahau (with SideKick), AirMagnet, Wi-Spy by MetaGeek, etc.  These will normally tell you what RF is present in the 2.4 and 5GHz spectrum.

If you want your devices checked for non-RF noise, then you will most likely need to send them to an EMC (ElectroMagnetic Compatibility) testing facility for them to be tested inside an isolation chamber.

Thanks,
Darrel.