cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Primary or Seconday Image

bob_builder_dxz
New Contributor II
One of our users has accidently wiped our Brocade Fastiron 624p Switch. It comes up to boot cli but has no primary or secondary image. How do I get a flash image back on this switch?
25 REPLIES 25

bob_builder_dxz
New Contributor II
erase startup-config doesn't work since I cant get past the password. If I power down and back up the switch I lose the firmware because of not being able to save. Is there a firmware I can download that has a wipe of configuration as well?

netwizz
Contributor III
The last snip-it came from ICX Boot Code Version 10.1.00 (grz10100) from a 6610.

The erase command was available at the boot monitor on that platform.

Pretty much all the firmware images have support to erase the startup-config provided you can get them booted and to the privileged prompt.  Support might have a special build that ignores passwords for instances like this to recover bricked devices, but I wonder if a different firmware build would recognize the "no password"

You might try Ruckus FastIron 07.3.00s.  Supposedly that is now the recommended build for this platform.  Perhaps that build will properly ignore the password when you do a "no password" at the boot monitor prior to booting.

bob_builder_dxz
New Contributor II
The no password didn't work on this build either.

netwizz
Contributor III
At this point, I think we have exhausted every avenue.  I really cannot find anything else in any available documentation.

I presume you hit enter a few times, and it didn't bypass the password prompt.

At this point, if it is possible to escalate to Ruckus support, that is what I would do.  I think these are end_of_life and end_of_support, but you would need to verify that to be certain.

I am not certain this would be a covered type issue anyway, but if it was a covered device with their software support, they would be able to at least open a case and look.

All that said, may I suggest just buying a new Ruckus ICX 7150-24P?  It is similar has a normal RJ45 console port (as well as a USB console port), 24 ports dedicated (not shared with SFP+ slots).  Finally, it supports stacking and SFP+ for 10 Gigabit SR and LR (probably LRM, too... but check) while still being backwards compatible with the traditional SX and LX 1 Gigabit/sec optics.  I do think there may be the need for 10 Gigabit/sec licencing though.

The 7150 supports both layer-2 and layer-3 code, and can even support stacking.  There is a full LLDP-MED support, too, so if you are doing VoIP it works well with most everything major vendor.

It's just a good, inexpensive recommendation.  Lastly it runs their codebase all the way up to 08.0.80d at the time of this writing, which has simplified configuration of LAGs, tagged/untagged ports (i.e. with Native VANS and Voice VLANS).  Inline power is enabled by default, too, and a firmware upgrade updates the POE+ firmware automatically.

It is just a thought because at its price point, I don't think you could get a better replacement switch for the money than an ICX-7150-24P

I leave you with the formal instructions for password recovery... looks like exactly what you already tried.

I took a look at the FastIron Configuration Guide, 07.0.30 and verbatim this is what it says:

Image_ images_messages_5f91c43c135b77e2479d4532_80514c56bd53c4e6408f40460b9ced9a_RackMultipart2019012589135wuzd-6249d0dc-f849-451b-ba18-37ac1948a3df-259815406.jpg1548437735

flemming_wilton
New Contributor
Hi, 
I have read this post with big interest.
I have 2  FWS624G , the one in production and the other as a spare.
I have copied the config from prod. to spare, but there is a lot of errors when it boots, not knowing this and that...

I have looked at the pri and sec flash imeges on both of them and they are different.

Prod. : 07.0.01cT7e1 (/foundry/FGS/os/FGS07001c.bin)274105907.0.01cT7e1 (/foundry/FGS/os/FGSL07001c.bin)

Spare : 07.4.00bT7e1 (FWS07400b.bin)272055807.1.00T7e1 (FGS07100.bin)

What is the difference ? 
And can I just upload/overwrite pri/sec from Prod. to Spare ? to make my config work on the spare ?

Thanks