cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lag spikes when gaming every 30 seconds or so

z_5653252
New Contributor
Hey everyone, I just bought a new house that came with three ZoneFlex R510's installed, one on each floor, and a Ruckus network switch. Before this was setup, I had a single Netgear Nighthawk X6S (model R7960P-100NAS) that was serving the house well with no problems.

Now, when playing games through wireless, I get consistent lag spikes every thirty seconds or so. This wasn't happening when using the Netgear access point and it doesn't happen when the devices are hardwired.

Any settings I'm missing in the console that could remediate this problem? Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6

andrew_giancol1
Contributor III
Without knowing more about your setup ( i. e what were you gaming with, what band were you experiencing issues on), my first thought would be to move "background scanning Radio" threshold out to like 900 seconds or use Channel Fly. We had a similar issue with VOIP and that change fixed our issue. 

Hope that helps.

z_5653252
New Contributor
Thanks for the quick comment, I'll check out that setting and get back to you.

michael_brado
Esteemed Contributor II
Likewise, if you're running your APs in Solo/Standalone mode, reboot the one closest to your LAN router.
A Solo AP upon boot will run a SmartSelect algorithm and pick the least congested/occupied channel at that time.  [But all three could see the same results, because w/o controller they don't communicate]

Then lock down the 2.4 Ghz channel that it picked, 1/6/11, and *manually* set your other APs to the other two channels.
This will reduce co-channel interference, and should provide best coverage/data rates.
After a short period, look at your AP channel choices for 5G, and I'd suggest locking them down to different channels too.
Please let us know if this helps?

john_d
Valued Contributor II
If it’s Unleashed or controller based, every 30 seconds sounds suspiciously like the off channel background scanning interval. Could be worth going into the Services pane and turning off background scanning.