cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inactivity Timeout

arsen_kocharyan
New Contributor II
Hi. In zd1200 with r710, in wlans config. we have "Inactivity Timeout set -Terminate idle user session after  x minutes of inactivity"

What is meaned under Inactivity ? Is this traffic or dB or something else ? How controller understand that divice is inactive ?
4 REPLIES 4

monnat_systems
Valued Contributor II
source Ruckus KB article:

"Once a client makes a connection, AP will keep monitoring for its traffic. If there is no traffic at all for a certain period of time, the AP will remove that particular client's entry. This period is called Inactivity Timeout. The default value is 5 minutes and it can be raised all the way to 500 minutes. When this value gets triggered, AP will also send a disassociate packet to the client and log a message under events.

This type of purging of inactive client entries is essential especially if the environment is highly transient in terms of client foot traffic. This is true for shopping malls and city-wide WiFi deployments. This purging will avoid ZD side resource consumption in maintaining client entries that are no longer active on the network. This will also help to avoid ZD reaching system limits in terms of number of clients that can connect.

There may be certain deployments where 5 minute default inactivity timeout can cause unnecessary client disconnection. Examples include warehouses that use barcode scanners. Barcode scanners can be silent (non-chatty) to conserve battery power and communicate only if required. In these conditions, if the scanner gets disconnected, it has to reconnect back which will be unacceptable. For such SSIDs, raising inactivity timeout value is suggested".

arsen_kocharyan
New Contributor II
But in general traffic  can not be 0 Mbit/s because updates, autorefrash,... ????  You do not use phone but phone use traffic. Am I true ?

And I rtied  in zd1200 with r710 with laptop turned off updates and any traffic ( with traffic control tool -  to be sure that no traffic) but also in this case it not working. Laptop was in Active Clients list and did not disappear.

max_o_driscoll
Valued Contributor
Monnat: good explanation.
I would add that In mixed client areas this is tricky to set correctly.
In my school environment I see Win laptops respect the inactivity timeout, iPads/android phones less so and Kindles never! 

Arsen: Traffic control tool that is claiming to block all traffic completely - could it be calling home itself!
Just a random thought.

Hunting down the background service/application that is using the wifi on laptop can be tricky.

arsen_kocharyan
New Contributor II
Are there any way to disconnect old registered users that just connected but don't use phone?
"Inactivity Timeout set -Terminate idle user session after  x minutes of inactivity" is nonsensical setting, because client traffic never is 0 Mb/s (always some background service). So for what this setting I did not understand.