cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Devices behind wireless bridge do not getting an ip addresses from DHCP

chris_lasek
New Contributor II
I have 7372 AP running 100.1.x.x.x... (jsut updated today). Everything works fine except for a device that is connected to a wireless bridge. The device will not get an ip address from the DHCP. I have Ruckus configured with static ip, the wireless bridge (Netgear 3001) is configured to obtain an ip address from the DHCP server and it is working perfectly fine only the device that is behind the Wireless bridge is not getting the ip from the DHCP. The Device connected to the Wireless Bridge will work if assigned a static ip address.

SO to conclude is there anything that needs to be done to make the DHCP available for host behind a wireless bridge ? I switched from Ubiquity AP where this Wireless Bridge was working perfectly fine (there are not many setting on it anyway).

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you
11 REPLIES 11

michael_brado
Esteemed Contributor II
We might have an option to work thru the bridge, if you can test it.

When attempting to connect non-Ruckus wireless bridge devices, we can test by disabling
directed-DHCP, our proprietary conversion of broadcast to unicast of DHCP offer and ack
messages, and evaluate how this affects the WDS with wireless bridge clients.

rkscli: set qos directedDHCP
usage: set qos directedDHCP {enable|disable}
rkscli:

From ZD CLI: remote_ap_cli –A “set qos directedDHCP disable”

The “-A” switch before the double-quoted AP command, means apply to all currently connected APs.

This worked perfectly - now any device behind the bridge is able to get an ip.

Thank you

michael_brado
Esteemed Contributor II

Clarification, the ZD CLI command is run from ZD Debug mode.

ruckus# remote_ap_cli
Invalid command "remote_ap_cli". The command is either unrecognized or incomplete. To view a list of commands that you can run  from this context, type '?' or 'help'.
ruckus# debug
You have all rights in this mode.
ruckus(debug)# remote_ap_cli

usage: remote_ap_cli [-q] {-a ap_mac | -A } "cmd arg1 arg2 .."
       excute AP CLI command in remote AP
       -A ; all connected AP's
       -q ; do not show result
       cmd ; Ruckus CLI, e.g. "get station wlan0 list"
ruckus(debug)#

charles_sprick1
New Contributor III
I hate to resurrect such an old thread, but google led me here, as I was having the same problem and this workaround "fixed" it.  Are there any plans to offically support this functionality without disabling the "directed DHCP" feature (which sounds like something I'd rather not disable permanently on a busy network)?

It's also tough to troubleshoot - I kept thinking something was amiss with how I copied my VMs to this new laptop, came >this< close to reinstalling the VM. 🙂

Just FYI, the problem seems to be getting the traffic from the DHCP server back to the client.  The server is seeing the requests and offering an IP, the client just never sees the traffic.  Here's a log, this is a flat L2 network, the DHCP server is ISC-DHCPD on pfsense, and the MAC you see in the logs is the MAC of the virtual machine (apologies for reverse chronological order):

Sep 8 21:34:19	dhcpd	DHCPOFFER on 10.3.2.207 to 00:50:56:38:7c:40 (fruitcake-fusion) via bge0	
Sep 8 21:34:19	dhcpd	DHCPDISCOVER from 00:50:56:38:7c:40 (fruitcake-fusion) via bge0	
Sep 8 21:34:10	dhcpd	DHCPOFFER on 10.3.2.207 to 00:50:56:38:7c:40 (fruitcake-fusion) via bge0	
Sep 8 21:34:10	dhcpd	DHCPDISCOVER from 00:50:56:38:7c:40 (fruitcake-fusion) via bge0	Sep 8 21:34:06	dhcpd	DHCPOFFER on 10.3.2.207 to 00:50:56:38:7c:40 (fruitcake-fusion) via bge0	
Sep 8 21:34:06	dhcpd	DHCPDISCOVER from 00:50:56:38:7c:40 (fruitcake-fusion) via bge0	Sep 8 21:33:34	dhcpd	DHCPOFFER on 10.3.2.207 to 00:50:56:38:7c:40 (fruitcake-fusion) via bge0	
Sep 8 21:33:34	dhcpd	DHCPDISCOVER from 00:50:56:38:7c:40 (fruitcake-fusion) via bge0	Sep 8 21:33:17	dhcpd	DHCPOFFER on 10.3.2.207 to 00:50:56:38:7c:40 (fruitcake-fusion) via bge0	Sep 8 21:33:17	dhcpd	DHCPDISCOVER from 00:50:56:38:7c:40 (fruitcake-fusion) via bge0

stephen_hall_60
Contributor
I have 2 questions in reguards to directed dhcp disabling.

1- Am i correct in that the "solution" above:
From ZD CLI: remote_ap_cli –A “set qos directedDHCP disable”

will NOT survive AP or ZD reboots?   (ie post AP and/or ZD reboot, directed dhcp will again be enabled).

2-  where can we get specifics on the pros/cons of directed dhcp? 
(a search of the KB for directedDHCP   or directed DHCP  - yielded many un-related results)

thanks