cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding addiitonal AP's

jason_sparrow
Contributor II
Hi again all,

Im looking at removing my Unifi 5G N outdoor Ap which is installed on the back of my house outside, and replacing it with an R500 that will go inside at the end of my garage for garden coverage.

Would the R500 work ok with the 600's with roaming?

Also, would the coverage be ok for a small garden, with the 500 transmitting through one single skin brick wall?

Thanks

🙂
4 REPLIES 4

john_d
Valued Contributor II
Yes, roaming will be fine between R500 and R600 — the only gotcha is when you are in an area with overlapping coverage between the R500 and R600, you won't have much control over whether a device wants to pick the R500 or R600 — most client roaming algorithms do not choose one AP over another based off much more than signal strength — they will not take into account whether an AP is 2 or 3 spatial stream.

FWIW, in a sparse suburban area, I've had good luck with a 7982 indoors transmitting ~5 ft away from a window covering a very large backyard area with nearly full signal, primarily on 2.4GHz. So the coverage will likely be sufficient, based off what you've said.

I'm sure you're aware, but Ruckus also makes purpose-built outdoor AP's, the T300 series for AC, and the 7782 series for 802.11n. They are more suited to the task of covering a larger outdoor area. But if it's just a small garden, an indoor AP in the garage might be sufficient.

jason_sparrow
Contributor II
Hi John,

Many thanks.

I do start to lose coverage as i go into the garden and the Unifi picks up from there so all being well, the 500 should do the same, plus i will be converting that part of the garage to an office so will serve that area as well.

🙂

Would it matter if I tweaked the power down a little on the 500 to stop it taking over if they are overlapping?

john_d
Valued Contributor II
You can attempt to do so, but that might have an equally undesirable effect on the range of the R500 for covering your outdoor spaces. I wouldn't bother with it personally — if it really matters, define a special SSID that only your R600's broadcast, and force all your 3-stream devices to connect to this SSID.

jason_sparrow
Contributor II
Ok, ill leave it and see how it goes.

Thanks again.