cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AP default-lease-time question

clayton_taverni
Contributor
We are a school district and we had an outside vendor set up our wireless network (new switches and APs).  We just noticed that the subnet in DHCPD.Conf for the Ruckus APs (R600s and R710s) has the default-lease-time and max-lease-time set to 1 hour.

Our first thought was to bump this to months or even a year long lease but I wanted to ask the community if there is any reason for the really short lease on the APs.

Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3

clayton_taverni
Contributor
bump

robert_lowe_722
Contributor III
no real reason for short lease time on AP management. Obviously on users it 'recycles' the address quicker if it has a short lease time. I also see no need to increase to a month or a year. If you swap out a faulty AP then that IP will be leased out for the duration of the timer. Remember an active device will renegotiate a leased DHCP address after about 50% of the lease time. So having it set at 1hr, if you have many AP's, would be causing an amount of unnecessary management traffic on the LAN that could be reduced by increasing the lease timer. 7 days in the norm in most environments.

clayton_taverni
Contributor
Thanks Robert.  Just what I wanted to hear.