cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making Ruckus Cloud work with VLAN based IP configurations

dale_kowalewski
New Contributor II
I have a simple network, with three vlans (Data, Voice, and Video).  I've entered all three wireless networks into my Ruckus Cloud account, and assigned each to the proper vlan number on network (20, 30, and 40).  The ICX ports that I'm plugging my AP's into are set for tagged ports and the AP ports are tagged in each of the three vlans.  There is a DHCP server on the lowest numbered vlan (20), but the AP's (R510's) never get an IP address, even though the DHCP server is on the local vlan 20.  If I put the AP's on a public VLAN they go to the cloud, and grab their configs, which should add the three vlans, and then drops from the cloud once the configs are downloaded (I'm assuming because that vlan ID isn't in the AP's).  But moving them back to the tagged ports, they never get an IP address (based on the power led).  Can anyone shed some light on the proper way to get AP's added to the cloud when all you have are three tagged vlans?
5 REPLIES 5

Great to know Dale! And you are right, that perhaps you were a bit impatient :-).

There is no explicit configuration for AP management VLAN (it is 1 / native). if you are impatient, just factory reset the AP (either from Cloud UI->AP->top right menu to factory reset, or, physically pressing the RESET button for 10+ seconds - actual 10 seconds, don't rush that :)).

Do you know how to read all the AP's LEDs to understand network status? e.g. AP's PWR LED will become solid green when it receives it's management IP address on the native VLAN. A simple reboort (power cycle) will force the AP to quickly restart the DHCP request (otherwise it has mechanism to check every few seconds to every few minutes with a backoff algorithm).

AP troubleshooting 10min video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n08bkeQKWX0&list=PLySwoo7u9-KJY4EXSzZGLLaH9nuEAzurm&index=3

cheers
Phal