cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SmartCell Insight 1.4 missing APs

clayton_taverni
Contributor
We've got 916 APs run by a SmartZone 100 and SmartCell Insight 1.4.  I'm trying to track a problem AP and I'm finding it's not listed in our SmartCell AP Inventory and I'm pretty sure I saw it in the list a few days ago but I search by AP Name and MAC Address and it's not showing up.

Where does the SmartCell get it's info and is there a way to refresh it?

Or any ideas and/or suggestions?

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4

shimshim
New Contributor
Hello,

The AP Inventory report is displaying APs in your current inventory of APs. If memory serves me right, that's APs that gave a sign of life (by sending statistics towards SCI) in the past 24 hours.

If the "problem AP" is a problem because it is... offline, for a while, then, it is the expected behaviour you'll not see it under AP inventory. If this is the cause, then there's no way to "refresh" this, essentially because the data is, in fact, refreshed already.

SCI is a reporting platform; I suggest that if an AP is misbehaving, looking it up in the controller might be a better idea.

If you want to try and find it anyways, you can try to do so by going to some other report (e.g. "AP Traffic"), and set the Reported Period to something that likely encompasses that AP (e.g. "Last 30 Days"). Then, try the AP filter to find this AP; If you do see it then, then likely the theory is correct (and, you'll see when the traffic graph ends, so you'll know when did it likely go offline)

By the way, if you're looking for where are your offline APs, you can utilize the Admin Monitor page (https://:8443), under the "AP Group Sync", there's a link log of the last AP Group Sync. This log will contain a list of all zones, how many APs in them, and how many are in DISCONNECTED state (so you can use ctrl+f in your browser and search for "DISCONNECTED")

Hope this helps

Thanks.  This helps a lot.

In the controller, the AP is listed as connected with an "Update Failed" message.  There's little to no traffic on the AP right now because school is out.

I looked in the Access Point Traffic for 7 days and the AP is now listed.

I am not sure, but I think that an AP in "Update Failed" state may not be broadcasting SSIDs at all, and likewise is not sending traffic report towards SCI.

Unfortunately I cannot help you with the "Update Failed" issue. If you can factory reset the AP over SSH without this causing you to lose access to it (e.g. due to VLAN configuration), then maybe factory resetting and re-joining to the controller may help - this is assuming that the AP model is supported by the AP Zone firmware in use for the zone it is member of. (some EOL'd devices are no longer supported in newer controller releases).

I am not sure, but I think that an AP in "Update Failed" state may not be broadcasting SSIDs at all, and likewise is not sending traffic report towards SCI.

Unfortunately I cannot help you with the "Update Failed" issue. If you can factory reset the AP over SSH without this causing you to lose access to it (e.g. due to VLAN configuration), then maybe factory resetting and re-joining to the controller may help - this is assuming that the AP model is supported by the AP Zone firmware in use for the zone it is member of. (some EOL'd devices are no longer supported in newer controller releases).