cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multicast traffic originating on one AP does not reliably reach a client on another AP, on the same WLAN.

matty_brown
New Contributor III
Multicast traffic originating on one AP does not reliably reach a client on another AP, on the same WLAN. Sometimes it works and other times it doesn't. We have IGMP Snooping enabled on all of our Cisco SG300 switches and have ran "qos igmp-query v2 enable" on our ZoneDirector's "System Default" AP Group.

I'm not too sure what exactly I need to change to fix this issue, but it seems to me that the AP is not always forwarding multicast traffic to the switch it's attached to.
7 REPLIES 7

keith_redfield
Valued Contributor II
OK..guessing a bit but I would start with turning off directed-multicast. See https://support.ruckuswireless.com/an.... You can do this one AP at a time and I think with will be of diagnotic help. (e.g. remote_ap_cli -a )

If that doesn't work, reverse the above and then try disable QOS:

no qos classification

If neither of those works...it's going to get involved (packet capture, etc)

matty_brown
New Contributor III
Hi Keith

Thanks for your help - turning off directed-multicast appears to resolve the issue. :)

The commands I ran were:
ruckus> enable
ruckus# config
ruckus(config)# show wlan (to get the exact name of the WLAN I wanted to configure)
ruckus(config)# wlan MySSID
ruckus(config-wlan)# no qos directed-multicast
ruckus(config-wlan)# qos directed-threshold 0
ruckus(config-wlan)# end
ruckus(config)# end
ruckus# reboot

keith_redfield
Valued Contributor II
Great! And thanks for posting your results - it will really help people in the future. What I suspect is going on is we're treating your multicast as "noise" instead of something well-known like SIP and so it's not getting into priority queues properly - it's going into the "OK to drop" bucket.