cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 x Ruckus R600 for USD$315. Good deal for new house build?

karan_singh_6pu
New Contributor II
We are currently building a new home that is single storey and around 3000sqft. I was looking into Ubiquiti Nano HD but I am able to get second hand 2 x R600 with PoE injectors for US$315 in my country from a IT distributor that comes with 1 year warranty. The condition of the R600 is excellent. Is this a good deal for 2 units and from your experience will this cover a 3000sqft house with timber framing? I plan to use it with unleashed firmware. Is wave 2 really a game changer that R600 does not have being an older model? Thanks.
19 REPLIES 19

Go the ABs over Ireland in Tokyo!

paul_mcguire_20
Contributor
I would go with 2 ubiquiti UniFi AP ac pro. Unless you have a house full of 50 people the HD mode is overkill. I have them in my house and have installed them in many building and houses and have no problems.

problem is ubiquiti firmware is sometimes... ughh... unstable.... sometimes once you find a firmware that's stable gotta stick with it... Edgerouter OS I thought was pretty good.. since most of the Vyos teams went over.. but at this point with EdgeOS starting with firmware 2.0.X .. I've lost confidence with them.. wonder if VyOS team went away..  I'm just losing confidence in ubiquiti themselves since they are expanding their product line sooooo much that they have no focus to do a great product...and their firmware stability across their product line reflects their unfocused attention.

karan_singh_6pu
New Contributor II
Ubiquiti management software is nice but it’s roaming handover connectivity with a device is average.

ms264556
Contributor II
I bought 3 R600s off eBay for a house the same size, and ended up reselling 2 of them because one R600 up in the ceiling covered the entire house. 2nd hand prices of Ruckus stuff is cheap enough that I wouldn't consider ubiquiti. The R600 is a great choice: it's plenty fast, has good range and is considerably smaller than, for example, the R610 or R710.