cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ruckus REJECTS proper Support

system_adminis1
New Contributor

Ruckus REJECTS us to install the Firmware version that was released while under active support.
Ruckus further REJECTS to give us the link to their own Terms of Service agreement.

Dear Ruckus -- can you kindly explain why your support team (talked to two people there) will not allow us to install a Firmware version to our Ruckus ZD 1205 that was released while we had an active support contract? Please explain.

Thanks!
Frank

8 REPLIES 8

david_black_594
Contributor III

I’m not with Ruckus, but I’ll try to help.  An active support contract provides access to TAC, advance replacement of failed covered hardware, and access to firmware updates.  When support expires, so does access to those benefits.  With or without a support contract, the ZD1200 and indoor APs are covered by a limited lifetime warranty that provides mail-in depot repair/replacement of failed hardware. This warranty ends approximately 5 year after the product goes “end-of-sale.” Some products such as SmartZone hardware controllers and outdoor APs/bridges come with only a standard 1-year warranty. A support contract is required to extend coverage on those products beyond the first year.  

About exact question -- Ruckus controllers from some version  (for ZD1200 I think it was v.9.9?) doesn't allow upgrade firmware version without active support contract for that device, and it doesn't matter when firmware version was released. Technically you can install any version available, when you have support contract , and you can't change it when support expires.

I have seen some customers running into problem, when they had  not kept firmware current during support contract, haven't renewed support, when it expired, and after a few years found that they can't connect new APs to controller. 

I don't know any way around it, and it is clearly specified in release notes for each new release  "If you do not have a valid Support Entitlement contract, you will be unable to upgrade ZoneDirector to this release".

The only exception of this limitation are cases of RMA for ZD1200 -- when faulty ZD is RMAed, replacement device comes with some software support (I think 30 days, or something similar), and can be upgraded to whatever version is supported.

Hope it clarifies situation (but probably doesn't help).

system_adminis1
New Contributor

Hi David:
Thanks for your explanations!
We have access to the Firmware listings -- I can download them and did so already. But the ZD1205 devices we have display a message that they have no valid support anymore (that's correct) AND that we cannot install firmware. -- So, in short, we have the firmware installers, but both that message and two Ruckus Team members tell me we cannot install that. -- That is again a little different than what you say above, where it is about the access to download these updaters. 
The whole setup seems really strange: it also means we are not allowed to do a "reset" and then re-install newer firmware (that was released while we still had active support).
Thanks.

In my earlier post, “access” meant both the ability to download and install. If you don’t have a support account, you can’t download. If you don’t have support, you can’t install (even if you previously downloaded the code). The controller will allow you to upload the image, but prior to installing, the controller phones home to Ruckus to check support status.  If no support, then the process aborts.