cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching an R650 from Unleashed to Network

tradley
New Contributor

Hi guys, I am brand new to using Ruckus devices and I have an R650 that I need to change from Unleashed to network. Is there a firmware update that I need to install to make the switch? 

As I understand it, ‘Unleashed’ and ‘standalone’ are the same. Unleashed means it is operating as a standalone device. We want the R650 to be part of network of APs that are managed through the SZ144. I believe this takes different f/w – at the least , different settings so it knows to look for and receive instructions from SZ144.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Thomas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @tradley,

Acknowledge, you can accept this as solution if your issue is fixed with the information.

Vijay Kuniyal

Staff Technical Support Engineer

CCNA RnS | CCNA Wireless | CWNA | RASZA | Meraki CMNO | RACPA

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

vijaykuniyal
RUCKUS Team Member

Hi @tradley,

Unleashed and Standalone are 2 different firmware.

Firmware version starting with 200.X.X.X is unleashed.
Firmware version starting with 11X.X.X.X is standalone.

For converting  Unleashed AP to SZ/vSZ manged AP , you will need to convert the AP to standalone first using the below firmware, which can be done from Unleashed GUI.

https://support.ruckuswireless.com/software/2767-ruckus-solo-access-point-114-0-0-0-6565-ga-software...

Once AP is converted to standalone firmware, you can configure AP to join vSZ from AP cli using below command.

rkscli:set scg ip <SZ-IP>

after joining the SZ AP will download the required firmware from SZ.

Vijay Kuniyal

tradley
New Contributor

Hi @vijaykuniyal 

Thank you so much, I really appreciate the assistance.

Thomas

Hi @tradley,

Acknowledge, you can accept this as solution if your issue is fixed with the information.

Vijay Kuniyal

Feri
New Contributor

I understand that the R650 APs loaded with the unleashed firmware need to be converted to standalone APs first by uploading a 11x.x.x.x firmware but when I try this on the unleashed interface under admin and services - administration - upgrade I get a "The uploaded software version is 114.0.0.0.6565, doesn't match with Master AP's 200.7.10.202.141, please choose the same version as Master AP." message. 

I can't use the R650s because their oldest unleashed firmware (R650-200.9.10.4.202.bl7) is newer version than the master controllers.

The master controllers are R500 on the latest unleashed firmware (R500_200.7.10.202.141.bl7).

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.