cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network and Access Point Basic Knowledge

matthias_gerhar
New Contributor

Hello Ruckus Community,

somehow I read a forum entry somewhere pointing out, that there's better hardware than Ubiquity Unify AP. So I went on and got myself a Ruckus H320 and a R510 installed, running with Unleashed firmware.

Now, after a few months, I need to confess, the possibilities are overwhelming me. This business class devices hold much more settings, than I know.

Do you know some (basic) material about the settings itself and best practice for a SOHO environment.

Don't get me wrong, I know, what an IP range is, I know, a network can be separated virtually by VLAN. But what is SNMP? What can I do with a Bonjour Gatway? How can I monitor device traffic and define Apps out of it? Can I route a specific device and network range through a specific VPN entry? Can I read out the clients list with some Smart Home software / protocols?

If you could point me to some teaching material, would be great. Can be book, can be YouTube, can be Udemy, ...

Thanks for bringing me some light.

Matthias.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

syamantakomer
Community Admin
Community Admin

Hi Matthias,

I am glad that your experience with Ruckus Unleashed is overwhelming!

I would suggest you to use the user guide or online document for Unleashed.

Our online guides explains how to setup things on Unleashed.

https://docs.commscope.com/bundle/unleashed-200.10-onlinehelp/page/GUID-066C1622-D9EF-447C-944A-79F3...

To know other stuff like SNMP, please do a simple google search and you will get to know all about it. It is not specific to Ruckus.

I am trying to answer your queries in short answers and I that will help you.

But what is SNMP?

SNMP is called Simple Network Management Protocol. It can be used with different software integration (SNMP servers) to read stats, edit/delete the configuration and event trigger an action upon a change in the network. To know more refer this wiki link.

What can I do with a Bonjour Gatway?

Bonjour gateway helps devices discovery application services when client and server are in two different networks/VLANs. For example, you have one apple TV on VLAN 20 and your iPhone is on VLAN 30, in this case you may not be able to discovery Apple TV from your iPhone. Bonjour gateway can be defined on AP or controller to act as gateway between client network to server network to sent/receive the mDNS requests.

How can I monitor device traffic and define Apps out of it?

If application recognition is enabled on a SSID, you can define application control policies on the system to allow or deny access to specific application. 

Can I route a specific device and network range through a specific VPN entry?

It is not a router, so I don't think you can integrate VPN with it. Though system does support port mapping, if configured in gateway mode.

Can I read out the clients list with some Smart Home software / protocols?

Please provide more information to answer this question.

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

syamantakomer
Community Admin
Community Admin

Hi Matthias,

I am glad that your experience with Ruckus Unleashed is overwhelming!

I would suggest you to use the user guide or online document for Unleashed.

Our online guides explains how to setup things on Unleashed.

https://docs.commscope.com/bundle/unleashed-200.10-onlinehelp/page/GUID-066C1622-D9EF-447C-944A-79F3...

To know other stuff like SNMP, please do a simple google search and you will get to know all about it. It is not specific to Ruckus.

I am trying to answer your queries in short answers and I that will help you.

But what is SNMP?

SNMP is called Simple Network Management Protocol. It can be used with different software integration (SNMP servers) to read stats, edit/delete the configuration and event trigger an action upon a change in the network. To know more refer this wiki link.

What can I do with a Bonjour Gatway?

Bonjour gateway helps devices discovery application services when client and server are in two different networks/VLANs. For example, you have one apple TV on VLAN 20 and your iPhone is on VLAN 30, in this case you may not be able to discovery Apple TV from your iPhone. Bonjour gateway can be defined on AP or controller to act as gateway between client network to server network to sent/receive the mDNS requests.

How can I monitor device traffic and define Apps out of it?

If application recognition is enabled on a SSID, you can define application control policies on the system to allow or deny access to specific application. 

Can I route a specific device and network range through a specific VPN entry?

It is not a router, so I don't think you can integrate VPN with it. Though system does support port mapping, if configured in gateway mode.

Can I read out the clients list with some Smart Home software / protocols?

Please provide more information to answer this question.

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn

matthias_gerhar
New Contributor

Thanks for providing detailed information.