cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual SmartZone configure network interfaces

Timothy_MTS
New Contributor II

Hello all,

I am going to deploy the vSZ into our infrastructure. I have successfully deployed the OVA template to our VMWare. When it asks to configure the network interfaces, it shows three network interfaces. Should I go ahead to deploy 1 network interface or 3 network interfaces? Or any other options? Any paticular idea on what should I go for?

Here is some of the background of our network. 

- most of our staffs and guests are in the centralized office
- some are in remote offices, but they are all connected directly back to our main office, different subnet but all routable
- we would like to deploy at least 6 SSIDs where 1 of them is for the guest access
- going to deploy 30 units of APs

Happy to get the idea from anyone.

Tim

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Rohit_W
RUCKUS Team Member

@Timothy_MTS 

Rohit_W_0-1695897034672.png

Where the AP means control interface.
I would suggest you to configure the controller with a single interface. Refer to the link I shared in previous post.

View solution in original post

Hi Tim,

Of course, you can use a trunk link. For example, the VLAN managed by the AP is 10.20, 30 is the service VLAN with SSID, and if the POE switch is Cisco, you only need to configure the port as trunk, and then native vlan 10.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Rohit_W
RUCKUS Team Member

Hi Tim,

The vSZ comes with the option to operate with either one (1) network interface or three (3) network interfaces. 

One interface means it will use single interface for Control, Cluster, Management. Whereas, with 3 interface config you have an option to have 3 different subnets.
Refer to below link:

https://docs.commscope.com/bundle/vsz-gettingstartedguide/page/GUID-7A7C71BE-2EFD-4AAE-8C70-AFF99DE1...

Timothy_MTS
New Contributor II

Thanks Rohit

I got it. There is a bit unclear for me that what are the Control and Management different. As far as I guess, Management is the point that I login to the vSZ to do configurations or such.

So what is the Control interface for? Controlling the APs?

I planned to configure all the APs in the same subnet (e.g. 192.168.100.x) . And would be in the same subnet to the vSZ (192.168.100.x) but which interface I should configure this to. 

Thanks again,

Tim

Hi Tim,

Control interface for ap.So you should configure control.( 3 interface )

The management interface is used to manage the controller through WEB/SSH and other methods.

If you don't want this trouble, you can reserve only one virtual network card for Control, Cluster, and Management.

Rohit_W
RUCKUS Team Member

@Timothy_MTS 

Rohit_W_0-1695897034672.png

Where the AP means control interface.
I would suggest you to configure the controller with a single interface. Refer to the link I shared in previous post.