cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Performance and Poor Range - Ruckus R510 Access Point

Bay
New Contributor

Hello, I have Spectrum wifi, and if I connect to the Spectrum router when standing nearby to it, I get performance of about 500mbps.

When further away from the Spectrum wifi router, I connect to the Ruckus R510 network (there are 2 Ruckus R510s access points in the house with wired backhaul to Spectrum). Performance from the Ruckus R510 network is severely degraded vs. the Spectrum router (~20mbps on Ruckus).

I updated to the latest Ruckus software and ensured I was on the correct country code. I tried selecting "Automatically adjust AP radio power" however this made no difference. 

I have also tried connecting via ethernet to the Ruckus network - there, the performance is better ~150mbps, however still much slower than if nearby the Spectrum router.

Would appreciate any troubleshooting steps that could be offered. Thank you

15 REPLIES 15

That's a large effort for only a theoretical remediation - especially given the need to re-enable SSH on the switch, and likely go through the complex steps of again upgrading the switch to more recent software. Would be helpful to make these systems more user friendly in the future.

Hello @Bay ,

Thank you for the response.

Could you please log into the unleashed system and share the screen shots showing the Switch and Unleashed AP version details?

Please share the requested information and let us know if you have any queries in this regard.

Thank you again for your patience and understanding.

Best regards,

Pinky Rajendran

RUCKUS Lennar Home Community.

I'd rather not share screen details of my home network in this public forum - however I checked and can share the following:

Both APs on  200.15.6.112.52 (I upgraded a few days ago as part of my initial troubleshooting)

Switch version information says SPS08070c.bin / 08.0.70cT211 / 10.1.13T225 mnz 10113 - I'm aware this is not the latest version however the upgrade process is sufficiently complex that I have not been able to make time for it

Squozen
Contributor III

I can’t see how upgrading switch firmware will improve wireless speed in the slightest - switching is done in dedicated hardware, not by the CPU. In your situation I would first disable the wifi in the spectrum router to reduce RF interference, then start experimenting with the Ruckus SSID settings. I am presuming you have set an 80Mhz channel width. Have you used a wifi scanning app to be sure you’re not in contention with a neighbour’s AP?

Hi @Squozen 

Greetings!!!

Thank you for sharing the information. 

Yes, upgrading the Switch will not improve the speed. That is why we assisted with a factory reset of the AP with a new SSID.

However, @Bay wants to have devices upgraded to a recommended versions. That is the reason the upgrade process is shared by our Engineer.

Appreciate for your time to respond here with the important information.

Best regards,

Imran Sanadi

RUCKUS Lennar Home Community.