Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CVE-2023-49225: RUCKUS AP Stored Cross-Site Scripting Vulnerability

syamantakomer
Community Admin
Community Admin

Hello All,

This is an important security announcement.

CVE number CVE-2023-49225
Severity Medium
Workaround Available
Fix Available

A vulnerability in the web-based management interface of the RUCKUS AP product line could allow an
unauthenticated, remote attacker to execute a cross-site scripting (XSS) attack against a user that’s
logged on to the interface of an affected device.

A security bulletin was posted by RUCKUS Networks Security team on 28 Nov 2023. Please refer the same from the below link.

Security Advisory: ID 20231128

Fix is already available and customers are advised to upgrade to recommended version.

While you check and plan to upgrade your devices, we strongly recommend you to implement the workaround first, as this will immediately block the possibility of this security vulnerability.

Workaround: This vulnerability can be mitigated by disabling the web services (HTTP and HTTPS) on the AP. This can be done by using the AP CLI commands "set https disable" and "set http disable".

Note: For ZoneDirector and SmartZone APs, the web services components are disabled by default, once AP joins the controller.

Some quick facts:

1. Only Access Points are impacted due to this security vulnerability, not the controllers.
  2. Disabling web server on AP (HTTP and HTTPS) guaranties no further possibility of an attack.
  3. By default, any AP joining a RUCKUS Controller disables the AP web service, so your AP will only be impacted if you are using it in standalone mode or enabled the HTTP or HTTPS manually.
  4. Only SmartZone, Zonedirector and solo (standalone) access point software versions are impacted.
  5. RUCKUS Cloud and Unleashed APs are NOT impacted.

FAQs

• Q: What if I don’t have an active Support contract with RUCKUS – will I be able to upgrade my software?
    A: Yes. You will be able to obtain the recommended software that are available for your platform even if you don’t have a current support contract. At this time, a limited time manual support entitlement (1 day validity) will be provided, if your controller falls into the eligibility criteria for the upgrade. Option to upgrade with one day entitlement will be valid only for 30 days from the date of this post.
  • Q: What is the eligibility criteria to get one time support exception?
    A: Your Controller (Not Access Point version) should be on a version which is impacted.
    B: Access Point model(s) for which you want to apply the fix should be supported by the recommended firmware version.
  • Q: Post upgrade if I am facing any issues (other than controller/AP firmware upgrade) with my controller/Access points, am I eligible to get support?
    A: No, limited time support entitlement is valid only for obtaining the upgrade files and entitlement, so that controller/APs can be upgraded. No additional issues can be reported under limited time support entitlement. We strongly recommend you to purchase the support entitlement for your product, to get all the support benefits. 

If you have any queries, please use the comment section on this thread and we will be happy to answer and assist.

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn
0 REPLIES 0