cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optical monitoring not possible on ports with link down?

diego_garcia_de
Contributor III

Am I missing something or the optical monitoring only works when the link is up? I am trying to troubleshoot some fiber connections which were unreliable / not coming up and when I use the `show optical-monitor x/y/z` command, I get nothing. Just comes back to the prompt.

If the same port with the same optical module has link, then I do get a proper readout of the optical monitor command (tx power / rx power / temps / current).

Being able to monitor a non-working link is a pretty basic thing to do to be honest and having access to DDM/DOM/optical monitoring of down links lets you figure out if you have, for example, a broken fiber in one direction, a mis-plugged rx/tx pair, etc.

Is there any way to monitor the DDM/optical parameters while the link is down?

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hashim_bharooc1
RUCKUS Team Member

Hi Diego,

The optical monitor shows signal levels, but will only show statistics if the port is up:

device(config)# show optic 2/1/1
Port Temperature Tx Power Rx Power Tx Bias Current
+-----+-------------+-------------+--------------+---------------------+
2/1/1 32.2578 C -002.5157 dBm -002.8091 dBm 5.966 mA
Normal Normal Normal Normal

If Signal is not correct and media type and fiber not right type link will not come up.
You need to check show media e x/y/z on both side make sure fiber is of right type.

Hope this helps.

If you need further help please open a  ticket and work with our TAC team.

https://support.ruckuswireless.com/contact-us

Thanks

Hahsim

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

Thanks hashim. Indeed, Im aready working the the local SE.

Cheers!

Donjb2007
New Contributor

Hi, Diego

Just posting this response if someone new comes across this topic.

I have been using the following switches: ICX7450,7550,7750 and 7850. By default, ports that are down are not included for optical monitoring by default configuration. To allow the monitoring for the down ports on an ICX device, enter the optical-monitor down-port-enable command.