cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing ICX7400-4X10GF modules in an existing stack

matt_schornstei
New Contributor
I have a 2 member 7450 stack and I need to install an ICX7400-4X10GF module into each unit in the stack.  I know each switch stack unit needs to be powered off to insert the module, but my question is: Does the entire stack need to be powered off and both modules installed at once OR can I maintain as much uptime as possible by installing the modules one at a time as follows:
  1. Power off unit 1
  2. Install ICX7400-4X10GF module in unit 1
  3. Power up unit 1
  4. Confirm unit 1 recognizes the new module and is active in the stack
  5. Power off unit 2
  6. Install ICX7400-4X10GF module in unit 2
  7. Power up unit 2
  8. Confirm unit 2 recognizes its new module, all is happy, and the stack is fully functional
If this will work, the switch stack never totally goes down and the dual-homed devices connected to the stack will continue to function.  Does this sound like it will work or will the stack get upset that one member has a module while the other does not? In the end, the hardware configuration will match, but there would be a short time where one unit has an ICX7400-4X10GF module and the other unit does not.
1 REPLY 1

hashim_bharooc1
RUCKUS Team Member
Hi Augsburg,

Hope you are doing great.

Yes that is correct.

Image_ images_messages_5f91c44a135b77e247a08b9b_ce6f2c93bbd03fd565f9bd7845f7a2cc_RackMultipart202002164994u1na0-b9d45ac0-4554-4fb2-85a6-a19b583f0926-1635889976.PNG1581820758Hi Augsburg,

Before proceeding please:
- Check that all units are on same software code, if not upgrade/downgrade individually.
- Plug all Cable on each units together through desired stacking ports.

http://docs.ruckuswireless.com/fastiron/08.0.90/fastiron-08090-switchstackingguide/GUID-965AF5A6-614...

From the guide page 56:

Stack construction methods

NOTE

The principles outlined in stack construction scenarios apply to all ICX devices. Figures used to illustrate a certain stack

topology are not necessarily representative of other devices. For illustrations specific to a particular device, refer to the

stack configuration section for that device, which also contains device-specific stacking considerations.

There are several ways to build a stack.

1. The stack interactive-setup utility. Interactive-setup gives you control over the design of your stack topology and provides security through password verification. Ruckus recommends interactive-setup because it provides the flexibility to choose stack members and their IDs. As you create the stack, you can see the topology and any potential connection errors. Refer to Scenario 1 - Using stack interactive-setup to create a stack on page 57 for more information.

2. Stack zero-touch provisioning. With this method, after all members are connected, you configure stack zero-touchenable on the unit that will ultimately serve as the stack active controller. All other units must be clean units, without startup or running configuration. The zero-touch provisioning process is triggered every three minutes in background.

The results of the process are equivalent to running stack interactive-setup utility option 2 and accepting all suggested values. Refer to Scenario 2 - Using zero-touch provisioning to configure a stack on page 77 for more information.

3. Manual stack configuration. With this method, you configure every unit individually and enable stacking on each unit.

Once the units are connected together, they automatically operate as a stack. With this method, the unit with the highest priority becomes the active controller, and ID assignment is determined by the sequence in which you physically connect the units.

Refer to Scenario 3 - Manually configuring a three member stack in a ring topology on page 83 for more information.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Hashim