Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ICX7250 switch gets out of sync with NTP server

junghyun
New Contributor

Hi

We are using 8 ICX7250 switches
Two of them are connected to the external network and six are located at the bottom of the firewall.
It is already connected to the internal NTP server, but the following log appears and the ntp sync state is observed to be released.
"the system clock is not synchronized to any time source"
We added 3 external NTP servers to solve the problem starting with 2 externally connected switches.
And when I debug, I can see that NTP packets are coming and going, but the offset is widening and sync is lost.
So, if you disable the ntp server, set the time manually, and try to synchronize with the ntp server again, it will remain in sync for a while and then the same symptom will repeat after a day or several days.

Is there any way to solve this?

The log visible in debug is as follows:

NTP: ntp_peer-unfit: dist exceeded - root dist 3.98533496 of peer 52.231.114.183 ha exceeded max dist 1.50096000

NTP : ntp_clock_filter: Adding offset -0/03647302, delay 0.00221265, disp 0.00001541 to filter[4] for peer 52.231.114.183

NTP : ntp_clock_filter: popcorn spike 0.00114024, ignoring new sample

After re-synchronizing, the sync status is fine right away.
The reach value also shows a value of 377 or nearby.
However, if you check after some time, you will see that the sync has been resolved.

1 REPLY 1

Mayank
RUCKUS Team Member

Hi Junghyn,

Thank you for posting your query.

I understand that ntp client sync is not able to sync up.

From the below logs the time source, It looks like the time difference between switch and ntp server has exceeded that max difference allowed. Please try with another ntp server closest to your location. Try setting the time manually then try NTP again.

NTP: ntp_peer-unfit: dist exceeded - root dist 3.98533496 of peer 52.231.114.183 ha exceeded max dist 1.50096000

Moving Forward If this issue is not resolved , Please log a ticket with the below link so that we will help you further.

https://support.ruckuswireless.com/contact-us

I hope this information helps you

Please feel free to leave us a message if any concerns

Thanks