cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ICX w/FI 9.0.10e SSH KEX Not Matching with ICX w/FI 8.0.90k

KennethDelaney
New Contributor II

I am seeing issues with no matching SSH Key Exchange Algorithm (KEX) when attempting to SSH to/from an ICX with 9.0.10e and ICXs with 8.0.90k or 8.0.95g firmware.  I turned on debug for ssh on both ICXs and what I found is the following....

ICX 8.0.90k SSH to ICX 9.0.10e and I get no matching key exchange method found. Their offer diffie-hellman-group14-sha1, diffie-hellman-group1-sha1

ICX 9.0.10e SSH to ICX 8.0.90k and I get SSH: KEX Algorithm no match found

I thought that FI 9.0.10e supports diffie-hellman-group14-sha1 by default?

The end result is that any non-9.0.10e ICXs can ssh to each other, and 9.0.10e ICXs can ssh to each other, but you cannot ssh between the versions because SSH KEX issue.

Hitachi Vantara Federal
Network Engineer, RICX
7 REPLIES 7

Hey Kenneth, 

I checked on this. It is a known limitation. We upgraded to openssh in 9+ (different SSH prior to this). This actually breaks switch-to-switch SSH capability if going between 8.x and 9+. In order to do switch-to-switch, you will need to be on all 8.x or all 9+. With that said, you should have no problem using a regular SSH client (putty, teraterm, etc.) to manage your switches. 

Ben Beck, RCNA, RCNI, Principal Technical Support Engineer
support.ruckuswireless.com/contact-us

KennethDelaney
New Contributor II

With 8.0.9x firmware I zeroized the RSA key so there should only now be the EC key, even though it doesn't display under #sh ip ssh config, and whenever I try to ssh between 8.0.9x and 9.0.10e/f it never connects because the 8.0.9x ssh negotiation is looking for RSA, not EC.

Hitachi Vantara Federal
Network Engineer, RICX

Chandini
RUCKUS Team Member

Hi KennethDelaney

Adding to the post. The outbound SSH connection problem between 8095 and 9010 and above version is fixed in version 9010j and 10.0.10c

Please note there is no need for you to upgrade any devices which are running 8095 version but you might have to wait to upgrade the 8200 switches to 10.0.10c version or if you have devices running on 9010 versions they would be fixed in 9010j version

You might have to wait for release of 10.0.10c and 9010j version. 

Thanks