cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

COVID & WFH ZD1200 intermittent loss of internet connectivity

trey_lutrick
New Contributor II
ZD1200 with 3x H500, R500, R600.  Since "shelter in place" orders came, my network at home has been intermittently dropping internet connections, wifi calls,etc...  Upgraded ZD1200 to 10.1.2 build 277 and no improvement.  Began to think it was AT&T 1Gb Fiber problem.  Decided to disconnect Ruckus from the AT&T Pace 5286ac gateway, turn on gateway's wifi, and the performance dramatically improved.  Fast response, no drops, etc...  Any diagnosis of the problems that I can investigate?
9 REPLIES 9

andrew_giancol1
Contributor III
Howdy,
Lots of folks beefing up their home networks. I personally have revamped my home network for the same reasons. Since you have an area large enough for three APs, I would ask if your problem was endemic to a single AP (implying one of your neighbors is polluting your wifi). I would also want to know what kind of wifi calls were being dropped. were they Celular over Wi-Fi or true UDP VoIP Clients. 

For some short term gains, I would power your APs down as far as you can, so they aren't affected by clients in other people's homes trying to join or interact with your network. 
After that, I would adjust background scanning and push that out to 9000 seconds if that's enabled.

trey_lutrick
New Contributor II
Thanks Andrew,

So my dropped calls were both Cellular over WiFi and UDP VoIp Clients via Skype.  I have 5 AP's, and the problems have been noticeable on at least 3 of them that I can think of.  

I thought I had a DNS issue, as there was a resolving host latency involved in every web browser query and have changed my DNS to point to 8.8.8.8.  This was a temporary fix and continued to worsen over time.  I'm currently on the AT&T gateway for the last 3 hours and have my Ruckus network turned down and working flawlessly.  I will try turning down background scanning (got to find that field first) and will report back. 

here's a question...when I updated my ZD1200 to 10.1.2 b277, I'm assuming it pushed the latest firmware down to my AP's as part of the provisioning process.  Is that right, or do I need to update them directly?

trey_lutrick
New Contributor II
This may be a dumb question, but I jumped from like ~9.13 to 10.0 and then to 10.1.2.  Do I have to update the ZD1200 at every load in-between?  I may be grasping at straws, but this is huge problem for my family and trying to quickly resolve it.

andrew_giancol1
Contributor III
No, I feel like it wouldn't update correctly if it needed an incremental upgrade.