cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New WLANs automatically added to Default WLAN Group

jamie_lidster_6
New Contributor II
When creating a new WLAN, it seems to automatically add and enable it on the Default WLAN Group. Is there a way to stop this from happening? It has the potential to end up broadcasting SSIDs on APs unintentionally.

Running 9.7.0

Thanks
Jamie
9 REPLIES 9

sid_sok
Contributor II
Hi Jamie,

The best way to do that is to create a "Produciton" wlan group, put in the various WLAN into that group and have the default AP group use that wlan group. Now every time you create a new wlan for test purposes for example, it will only be applied to the default wlan group which is not used so "test" wlan will not be broadcast until you add it to the production wlan group.

In my lab I have a at least 3 wlans, Default, Production, NoService. The production wlan will only have the wlan I am testing and the NoService I do not have any wlan selected at all. This way I can turn the 2.4 GHz radio off completely on the group of APs without going to individual APs and turning the 2.4 GHz "WLAN Service" off on individual APs.

Using a combination of wlan group and AP group you can tweak and customize the wireless network service in just about any way you need.

Sid

jamie_lidster_6
New Contributor II
Hi Sid,

Thanks for the suggestion, your method of doing that would work well for what we need. I'll look at applying this to our ZDs.

Thanks
Jamie

jamie_lidster_6
New Contributor II
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
Moving APs off the Default AP Group.

Hi,

Running 9.7.0 across twelve 5Ks.

We have a scenario we come across regularly which causes a real headache and I'm wondering if there's a better way of doing this or if it needs to be a feature request..

In the scenario, we have three buildings, all on different LANs and subnets which will need to be in their own Access Point Groups. Building A has 50 APs installed, so I can easily move these all from the Default AP Group to their own in one go by selecting all of the APs. Engineers then install 50 APs each into Building B and Building C, so they are all together in the Default Access Point group. The only way to put these into their correct AP Group is to sit with a list of mac addresses for each building ticking them individually to add them.

If we were able to select APs by IP at this point, we'd easily be able to select all APs in Building B's subnet, etc. but all it gives us is the mac address.

Is there any easier way of doing this? We deploy thousands of APs so this can be a real chore if we have APs from multiple sites mixed up in the default AP group.

Thanks
Jamie

sid_sok
Contributor II
Hi Jamie,

If you have a Description in the AP for example "BLD1-AP1", "BLD2-AP1", then in the "Default" AP group, you should be able to type "BDL1" or "BDL2" in the search field and click on the box withe star under the Default AP group member and it should check all the APs listed there, then click on the drop down for the AP group you want to move it to.

If there was any pattern you can sort by that identifies the APs that can be done. To do it by IP, even via this sorting method we would have to put in a Feature request to add that field into the AP group member parameter.

Sid Image_ images_messages_5f91c40d135b77e247939361_0a482fa31f3a5374983f040bdf397bba_APGroupMove_inline-bb4f48b9-5727-4d20-a955-4d61b0f74c07-1061426166.PNG1397237064