cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Separate 2.4 vs 5ghz SSID's

richard_faris_j
New Contributor II
I'm replacing 3-4 Pakedge WX-1's in my home with Unleashed R710's.  I want to use the same SSID's so that I don't have to reconnect a gazillion devices.  I'm a step above novice when it comes to networking and typically know what I need to know to perform my job.  This one has me stumped.  How to I create separates, or can I just create 2 in the Ruckus setup that match the names and security of the two SSID's I'm running now?  Thanks in advance.
16 REPLIES 16

How would I know if cloning the SSID’s are presenting a problem. Everything seems fine.

WX-1 APs are still on the network or you have removed them?

Easiest possible way is, disable/turn off WX APs and check if all the devices are connecting fine on Unleashed.

Regards,
Syamantak Omer

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn

Yes, the WX’s are no longer on the system. Everything seems more than fine. The Ruckus AP’s are blazing fast and saturate the space nicely. I cannot speak for handoffs yet. I haven’t tested that.

R710 is a very powerful AP, so handoff depends upon deployment of the APs.

A RF site survey is the key to achieve good coverage, highest possible throughput and smooth roaming.

Regards,
Syamantak Omer

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn

DarrelRhodes
Valued Contributor
Hi Rich, 

Just to elaborate on Syamantak's (excellent) comments; some client devices save the AP BSSID as part of its WLAN (SSID) profile.  A BSSID is generated from the AP's base MAC address, and changes for each SSID, including an identical SSID on 2.4GHz and 5GHz.

So, in the instance where you swap-out an AP (even a like-for-like model) with an identical configuration, some clients won't automatically reconnect because the BSSID will have changed.

In my experience, it tends to be low cost/low performance client devices that have this nasty habit and thankfully it looks like you've managed to avoid this issue.

I hope that helps.

Thanks,
Darrel.