cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

icx6450 8030n not showing up (show version) and not upgrading properly

michael_eldridg
New Contributor
Upgrading ICX6450 to replace a faulty ICX6450 in client's environment.

The faulty device uses ICX64R08030n.bin firmware.
When We attempt to flash the replacement ICX6450 the version shows an incorrect firmware version: SW: Version 08.0.10mT311

Also, we need to be able to ip route this switch. I do not see references to be able to do this in command reference guides for 8030n. I want to ensure we are able to perform this configuration change so we can move forward.

Is there any reason why when we upload the firmware onto the flash it does not commit to the desired version?

I have tried erasing the flash, re-uploading the files, booting to secondary, and we are still getting the same results.

Please let me know if you would like additional information

Show Version Information:

System initialization completed...console going online.
  Copyright (c) 1996-2014 Brocade Communications Systems, Inc. All rights reserved.
    UNIT 1: compiled on Jul  8 2015 at 15:39:10 labeled as ICX64S08010m
                (8119232 bytes) from Primary ICX64R08030n.bin
        SW: Version 08.0.10mT311
  Boot-Monitor Image size = 786944, Version:10.1.05T310 (kxz10105)
  HW: Stackable ICX6450-48-HPOE
==========================================================================
UNIT 1: SL 1: ICX6450-48p POE 48-port Management Module
         Serial  #: BZT0443J077
         License: BASE_SOFT_PACKAGE   (LID: dbvFJJIlFMM)
         P-ENGINE  0: type DEF0, rev 01
         P-ENGINE  1: type DEF0, rev 01
UNIT 1: SL 2: ICX6450-SFP-Plus 4port 40G Module
  800 MHz ARM processor ARMv5TE, 400 MHz bus
65536 KB flash memory
  512 MB DRAM
STACKID 1  system uptime is 27 seconds
The system : started=warm start  reloaded=by "reload"

3 REPLIES 3

BenBeck
Can you post the output of 'show flash' as well?
Ben Beck, RCNA, RCNI, Principal Technical Support Engineer
support.ruckuswireless.com/contact-us

netwizz
Contributor III
Have not been answering in forever, but what are you upgrade commands and errors?

I would NOT suggest 08.0.30n either because it is quite buggy.  I do not like T either because it does not properly show the uptime and report it correctly to certain management tools.  Not sure if they have anything later than 08.0.30t.  If not, SA is rock-solid without issue and definitely better than N

If the unit has POE, which it appears to have you might want to upgrade that as well AFTER you upgrade the other firmware FIRST.  You can do "show inline power detail" to check if your build is even an old version before you bother.

The POE update command is
inline power install-firmware stack-unit 1 tftp 10.1.2.3 icx64xx_poeplus_02.1.0.b004.fw

If you are doing it from SSH, you will want to enable "term mon" or terminal monitor to see the progress otherwise you will continue to do "sh logging" to look at the syslog to see when it is done.

The upgrade commands should be
copy tftp flash 10.1.2.3 kxz10105.bin bootrom
copy tftp flash 10.1.2.3 ICX64S08030sa.bin primary

You will probably want to look at your flash via "sh flash" to verify the version before and after the copies.  You will want to double-check the bootrom matches that in the package for your upload.

You will want to do "sh boot" on newer devices "sh boot-pref"  either way the ? mark will help you find what is available.  You want to leave it to Default; since, it booted the primary.  That way if there is an error, it will at least boot the secondary without you needing to do a recovery.  If it specifically says it boots Primary then I would go into the global config and do a "no boot system primary" ... "wr mem" and another check via "show boot" to ensure it is default.

You probably should backup the primary to the secondary before you do the upgrade

Copy flash flash secondary

sh flash

Then you want to ensure the MD5 sum matches both:
verif md5 sec
verif md5 pri

Once that matches THEN send your primary firmware because you have a backup of the currently running FastIron OS

These are what I have in my notes for the 08.0.30sa

6936D447DD8A4C64060B229EBFA41117 S sa

92375E82CFD47E3E477250237315A0E8 R sa

Hence, AFTER the upgrade BEFORE reloading the switch...

verif md5 pri

You can check the checksum yourself to verify against what you send it to make sure I am correct.

Regardless, also do a "wr mem" BEFORE reloading just in case nobody ever did that in the past.

If there are errors, post them back here for troubleshooting.

jijo_panangat
RUCKUS Team Member
Hi Michael,

Pls try out the above suggestions and reach out to TAC team if the issue persist. May be a remote access to switch helps to understand the issue and troubleshoot.

Thanks
Jijo