cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uplink ports explained

fernando_fl_rez
New Contributor III
Hello,

So sorry for what could be a very basic question but I'm starting to learn about networking and Ruckus.

I've got an ICX 7150 24P switch where I have configured 2 vlans: (1st vlan: 1/1/1 to 1/1/12 and 2nd: 1/1/13 to 1/1/24). I would like to connect this my core switch which also has these 2 vlans.

Could I use the uplink ports? if so, should I have one cable for each vlan or how does this work?

Thank you!
13 REPLIES 13

chris_hill_4zpl
New Contributor III
I believe the 7150-24P has ports like 1/2/1-1/2/8, right? You can use these as your trunking ports.

To do this, tag both vlans on the port you want to use, for example 1/2/1. Both vlans can be tagged across one port, then you only need one cable to uplink to another switch.

Or if you want to lag, you can use 1/2/1 and 1/2/2, or more. Then you would need more cables but the vlans would still be tagged across all ports.

BenBeck
Hey Fernando, 

You can pass multiple vlans on one port. For example you could pass your two example vlans upstream with something like this:

enable
conf t
vlan *not sure on your numbers*
tagged eth 1/2/1 

This would allow you to pass both vlans' traffic upstream to your core on one port. Your core switch would also need the appropriate vlans 802.1q tagged towards the 7150. 
Ben Beck, RCNA, RCNI, Principal Technical Support Engineer
support.ruckuswireless.com/contact-us

netwizz
Contributor III
vlan 123 name DATA by port
untagged ethe 1/1/1 to 1/1/12
tagged ethe 1/2/1
!
vlan 567 name MOREDATA by port
untagged etthe 1/1/13 to 1/1/24
tagged ethe 1/2/1
!

Connect 1/2/1 to your core.

Your core MUST also have the port you connect TAGGED in the same vlan(s).

If your core is not Brocade the terminology is that it would be called a TRUNK interface.

Something like:

interface GigabitEthernet1/1/1
switchport
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport trunk allowed vlan 123,567
switchport mode trunk
!

fernando_fl_rez
New Contributor III
Thank you!