cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mac loop taking down uplink ports

christian_kelly
New Contributor

I have a hub and spoke network with 7750 at the center and about 20 or so 7250/7150 switches(some in 2-3 switch stacks). There is a network outside of my control but utilizing my 7250/7150 switches for interconnect. i have 802.1w enabled for this vlan as well as loop-detection(under the vlan). What iv noticed is when that network gets a mac loop, instead of my edge port disabling, the uplink to the core goes down. Sometimes switches across the network will also go down. Its currently causing chaos in my network when this happens. 

I have spanning-tree 802-1w admin-edge-port enabled on all edge ports and spanning-tree 802-1w admin-pt2pt-mac enabled on all uplinks.  I have had support go over my config twice now and have told me the configuration is correct, but they havent been able to explain this behavior to me. 

What am i missing?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

BenBeck

Hey Christian, 

We have a feature to make sure uplinks are not disabled. Please see here:

http://docs.ruckuswireless.com/fastiron/08.0.80/fastiron-08080-managementguide/GUID-A45730FC-CC71-43...

Loop detection should still work properly; we just won't disable the specified port. 

Ben Beck, RCNA, RCNI, Principal Technical Support Engineer
support.ruckuswireless.com/contact-us

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

BenBeck

Hey Christian, 

We have a feature to make sure uplinks are not disabled. Please see here:

http://docs.ruckuswireless.com/fastiron/08.0.80/fastiron-08080-managementguide/GUID-A45730FC-CC71-43...

Loop detection should still work properly; we just won't disable the specified port. 

christian_kelly
New Contributor

Yeah i saw that and it was brought up by the last support person i worked with from support, but he was hesitant to recommend it as a solution. After doing more digging im finding that a total of 16 switches(all configured with this problematic vlan). Would i just add shutdown prevention to all of my links between switches? Can you think of any caveats to doing that? I appreciate your help on this.

I have labbed this up in the past by putting it on uplinks only (both sides). I never ran into any issues with it; worked as expected. I think this is likely what you are looking for here.  

Looks like this is working as advertised. Thank you Ben.